Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I think I know which iron to get now what about a woolen mat?

Smile I think I know which iron to get now what about a woolen mat?

Do any of you have the new woolen ironing mats and if so, which one do you have? That's just as confusing as the irons are.... Any info would be appreciated! Can you safely make one that works as well? They are quite expensive so I don't want to spend the money unless they really make a difference. Hubby has offered as a Christmas gift but I need to tell him which one! Thanks everyone!

I just got an e-mail today from Martelli and they are putting theirs on sale. I don't own any wool mats, but that sale tempts me to try one.

I used one at a quilt retreat in October. Wow did it get my pressing crisp and squares flat. I am looking at buying one. There is an online rug store that sells the wool by the yard. People were happy with that. I will look for the link. You could get quite a bit for only $48. Could share with another person.

https://ecorugpads.com/
    here is the website I was referring above

Blog Entries
    I own a wool ironing mat and it works great, I love mine!
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Blog Entries
    I have two and wouldn’t give them up for anything. They make your seams so nice n crisp n flat

I have the small wool mat on a folding table near my sewing station. You would never believe how wonderful they are until you actually tried one. My seams iron flatter than with my large Shark iron. I use mine for piecing and for applique. wouldn't give mine up for anything...I'm actually wanting a larger one now that I've tried them and know they work. I got mine from the Quilt in a Day website.

Blog Entries
    I have a small one and I love it.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    I love, love my woolen mat. I ordered mine from www.sutherlandfelt.com. Much less expensive than the ones from quilting websites. They make all kinds of felt. I emailed them what I was using it for and the sizes I needed and they emailed back what I should order and the price. I got a large piece to cover the top of a dresser and a smaller one to cover my small work table. I got the website from someone on here. It arrived in about a week.

Blog Entries
    I have two (11 x 18) that I purchased from Craftsy on sale. I like them a lot but I do not use steam, just a light mist of water. They work very well, in classes and at home.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I bought a small one to try and loved it so much I ordered a full sized ironing board one from Lisa Bonjean's Primitive Gatherings. Absolutely love it. And if you don't like the "smell" from the heat, there is a solution you can make up to spray on the pad.

I bought one from Quilt in a Day when it was on sale. It is 14" x 24." I absolutely love it. I wish I could afford one to cover my whole bigboard ironing surface. It really makes a noticeable difference in making blocks flatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Queen View Post
    https://ecorugpads.com/
    here is the website I was referring above
    I ordered a custom cut wool pad from a similar source but it turned out not to be 100% wool and it did not work well as a pressing pad. I ended up ordering a pressing wool pad from Amazon to make sure I got the right kind. I am happy with it.

I got mine from Quilt in a Day and I love it.

The Featherweight shop is offering one on sale today. I'm thinking of getting it.

The mats have been 50% and 40% off at most online shops in the last few weeks. Check Quilt in a Day and Craftsy. Those to places are where I buy most of my quilting notions/accessories. I found some thick felted wool carpet pads at the carpet installers. He said I could have the scrap pieces as they were no use to him. Many were corners cut off for round rugs and plenty big for pressing. Of course I just bought new flooring from him. LOL The price per foot he was selling the !00% wool pads were about the same as the ones sold for quilting. So not much savings. I did buy online a large carpet pad one to fit my ironing board. It was much cheaper. I have the one sold for quilt pressing so I can compare the different ones. They all work the same to me. I think they are great for pressing quilt blocks. Make sure it is 100% wool. No blends.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 12-04-2018 at 07:51 AM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Onebyone, I didn't see them on Craftsy's website. Maybe they sold out?

My 17x24 (x 1/2 inch) 100% gray wool mat is from Wooly Felted Wonders. I use it with a clapper and wouldn't part with either for any reason. Piecing looks so crisp and a finished quilt looks so awesome. I purchased mine at a quilt shop but they can be found online at woolyfeltedwonders.com. Very much worth the money. I wouldn't advise a smaller size.

There was a huge discussion (5 pages) on this forum last year regarding wool mats. I am attaching a link below. I bought a 2 ft by 6 ft one from Ecorugpads.com and have been delighted with it. I bought the "natures cushion" as it is the only one offered that is pure 100% wool. It does not smell. I cut mine into a few 18 x 12 sections using my 60mm rotary cutter leaving a large piece that fits on my extra large ironing board when I iron a finished quilt top. My final cost at ecorugpads.com was about $38.00 for a 2x6 ft section.
    If you do a search of this forum, there are quite a few discussions on wool mats.
    here is the link to the discussion that convinced me.....

https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f...t285529-3.html
    Last edited by Murphy224; 12-05-2018 at 02:19 AM. Reason: forgot the link

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitabulist View Post
    I bought a small one to try and loved it so much I ordered a full sized ironing board one from Lisa Bonjean's Primitive Gatherings. Absolutely love it. And if you don't like the "smell" from the heat, there is a solution you can make up to spray on the pad.
    I bought one from Craftsy on sale and really like it, but can you tell us what the solution is to get rid of the "smell"?

I purchased one from a US carpet outlet, they cut it to fit my ironing board, which I also had made 5 feet x 24 inches wide.

I made two white covers from old sheets to cover the wool pad, I wash them as they get soiled and have another clean to put on. I also make up my own misting solution 20 drops of lavender essential oils, 2 ounces of vodka (only keeps the water and oil from settling) which does not get stains of oil on your fabric, and add 2 cups of distilled water to the oil and vodka mixture.

The wool pad make ironing so much smoother and easier, I suggest we should all have one of these.
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

Blog Entries
    I have a wool mat and like it. One of the guild members did some research and came up with a place that gave a good rate on them. She ordered 50, and all were sold. :-) It does keep fabrics from slipping.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt