Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I took a Paper-Piecing class >

I took a Paper-Piecing class

I took a Paper-Piecing class

Old 02-15-2011, 09:14 PM

Don't give up! At least not yet! I took a New York Beauty foundation pieced wallhanging class when I lived in Va. I forgot my sewing machine! The owner who was the nicest person let me use her sewing machine but I had a sharp learning curve to overcome since I had never worked with a Janome. Needless to say, I was embarassed, behind, and felt like a dunce because I was so frantic I couldn't concentrate. But by the end of the four hour class, I had caught onto the technique. I finished the wallhanging at home at a slightly faster speed because something clicked once I got over being embarassed. I liked the precision so much that two years ago, for my new nephew, I made a frog and lilypad quilt using paper piecing. I also really like the church block that was posted on the board for the house BOM.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:34 PM

I have done some paper piecing and find it is great for getting very sharp points and intricate patterns where you have very small pieces. I use Carol Doaks paper, but have purchased a scribble tablet for the Dollar Tree and will be trying that. The Add a quarter ruler works great also. I have attached a light card board strip on mine to turn the pattern back on the next sewing line and then bring the ruler down for cutting.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:48 AM

Don't give up after just one try. My first time was really hard too. Luckily I did try again and it went much better. Now I'm not so afraid to try it thank goodness. :)
Old 02-16-2011, 03:46 AM

I have only made three quilts with paper piecing and loved it. I don't do well in classes though, I get very stressed out and pressured for time and can't seem to do "my thing" for noticing how well others are doing. I do have a quilt shop close by that has classes with just three of us at a time, and I LOVE IT! I do like paper piecing too. Don't give up on it. :thumbup:
Old 02-16-2011, 04:47 AM
Vat

Originally Posted by patchsamkim
I haven't ever tried the freezer paper method, but love the regular way of doing paper piecing...most important for that method is that you have an add-a-quarter ruler.
Actually, you don't have to have an add-a-quarter ruler, you can do regular paper piecing with a regular ruler. Just measure a quarter inch and cut. But I have a friend that thinks she has to have all new gagdets and usually buys two (2). One for home and one for their vacation place. But I like to make what I already have work and whatever usually does. To each his/her own.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:52 AM
Vat

I haven't tried paper piecing with freezer paper but I have done it the regular way , on paper with design printed on the reverse side. But I feel more comfortable doing it at home where I can (like you )concentrate better. But don't give up yet, give it another try.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:56 AM

I'm so sorry that you got off to a rough start! I was so intimidated by paper piecing at first, but I do love it now. It's so accurate. Take your time, watch You Tube videos and look at blogs. That's how I learned.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:34 AM

I just checked out those Artisania tutorial videos! What a riot! Very well done, and I have soooo been there, done that insofar as kids playing around the work table! Now the kids are teens at school, and the racket is dogs wrestling around my work table!
I'm pumped!! Bring on another paper piece project!

Is there a link to the BOM PP house project? The Church block I had seen was spectacular and was what had inspired me to give it a try in the first place... and of course I forgot to bookmark it!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:51 AM

Paper piecing can be difficult at times, but the results are so nice. Points always sharp. I like freezer paper for a couple of reasons: 1. it is not expensive, 2. I use double sided tape and it will go through my printer, and 3. when you iron it the paper sticks and there is less danger of it shifting. It's also fairlly easy to remove. Don't give up after your first try, it does get easier.
Sue
Old 02-16-2011, 05:58 AM

I LOVE PAPER PIECING!! I just came back to quilting in September and took a paper piecing class as someone told me it was the technique to use for crazy quilts.
I am off and running doing everything I can - trying variations, making up patterns. I'm having a ball. You have to trust the method and follow the steps and you end up with something gorgeous but often it's not visible until your close to done. Have faith!!