Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I tried the new ironing trick today >

I tried the new ironing trick today

I tried the new ironing trick today

Old 10-24-2022, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

Default I tried the new ironing trick today

I read about using a hair flat iron to press open seams on block units. I have a lot of hsts to sew. I though may as well try it. ( found mine in the back of a bathroom drawer, hasn't been used in years) It works great to press open the seams. Fast and the seams lay flat. Just zip it through the iron and done. I never liked to take the time to press opens seams, using my fingers with an regular iron. I am very pleased with the results of the flat iron. Watch for a special quilter's seam presser coming on the market soon. LOL

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-24-2022 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

My daughter told me is is now called a hair straightener. My granddaughter said what are you talking about? A iron for your hair? Why? Really?

Rollers, Curlers, all the same to me. LOL

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-24-2022 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2022, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

Whatever works!
Old 10-25-2022, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Watch for a special quilter's seam presser coming on the market soon. LOL
There already is such a thing.
Ive never used one; don’t know if it’s any good.

https://www.amazon.com/Clover-MCI-90...58388132&psc=1
Old 10-25-2022, 06:53 PM

Hmmm . . . I have one of those upstairs in the bathroom. I gave up straightening my hair and just let it be curly now. I haven't used that thing in years. Might be a good way to get some use out of it.
Old 10-26-2022, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I read about using a hair flat iron to press open seams on block units. I have a lot of hsts to sew. I though may as well try it. ( found mine in the back of a bathroom drawer, hasn't been used in years) It works great to press open the seams. Fast and the seams lay flat. Just zip it through the iron and done. I never liked to take the time to press opens seams, using my fingers with an regular iron. I am very pleased with the results of the flat iron. Watch for a special quilter's seam presser coming on the market soon. LOL
I don't have such an iron, so I sew up all my hst s and take them to the easy chair and open them with a little finger press while I'm watching something on TV. I lay them all upside down in a stack on my knee. When the stack threatens to fall over, I make a new stack. Then I go to the ironing board and they are ironed in a very short time with no burnt fingers. Less time with a hot iron saves money.
Old 10-26-2022, 04:21 AM

I have a small table with a wool mat positioned just behind my sewing chair. The rose twirls quilt that is my current project requires a lot of pressing to make it easier. I sew, then spin around to the pressing square! I will borrow DD's hair straightener when I start joining the 5" blocks to try your method!
Old 10-26-2022, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

The clover iron is not the same, as the straighter has two wide heating sides so the seam is pressed on both sides at once while it is closed up, nothing exposed to get burn fingers. I have the Clover little iron and it is too dangerous for me, all the hot parts are out in the open. I haven't tried the straightner on large size units. I am very happy it does great on hsts.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

What a great idea! I have a couple of flat irons. One is more expensive and the one I use but the other one could do the job.
My hair is wild w/o my flat iron LOL
Old 10-26-2022, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by LI_diva View Post
There already is such a thing.
Ive never used one; don’t know if it’s any good.
Yeah the Clover mini iron is not the same thing as a hair straightener. I'd probably press a fold into something with a straightener though, lol!
I hated my Clover. Burned myself on it every time I used it.