Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Went For Inspiration >

I Went For Inspiration

I Went For Inspiration

Old 08-01-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by happymrs
Each & every quilt is a work of art! Just think of all who do not quilt, & are clueless about even trying. Quilting is for our souls, much better than therapy, & more affordable. Quilt shows are for inspiration, &, admiration. Don't let those fabulous quilts get you down, just go back home & work on your own works of art, & enjoy the journey! I love quilt shows, but must admit, I go to shop more than drool over the quilts in the show, lol.....
I was there at the Long Beach show. We spent most of our time shopping and looking at the vendors quilts (that were "real" quilts, that someone could actually use) then looking at the pieces of 'Art". In fact, by the time we got to look at all the quilts I was hurting too bad and just sat with all the bags and stuff while my friends looked at the quilts. I am not an "Art quilter" either. Maybe someday I will attempt something like that. I love to look at them but right now I am more into making something that will be loved and used and maybe even dragged around the house by a toddler or child! I love to see the colors that are used. I confess that I do enjoy looking at quilts that are actually useable more so than the Art ones. The Road to California Show in Ontario in January has a much better mix of Useable and Art quilts.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:06 PM

I had a similar reaction to the Quilt Festival. I'm a new quilter if you can even call me that. I loved seeing the artistry but I was so intimidated at first I didn't think I'd attempt another quilt, but by gosh I'm going to! I've always been a move forward person rather than standing still and I'll never get any better if I don't practice.

Hang in there and do whatever it is that makes you happy.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:08 PM

Well, I hemmed & hawwed about which day to go & ended up not going at all! I guess I am glad now! I have been to Road to CA the past few years & I have enjoyed the mix of quilts they have. I love the smaller regional shows too that feature quilts I could actually make! I know how you feel about not measuring up! I love all of the vendors at the shows & really didn't need much of anything, so I talked myself into staying home. I finished a quilt top so I feel accomplished!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:44 PM

The first guild meeting I went to sounds just like this. A fab art quilted showed her 'show & tell'. It was soooo beyond anything I could do or even wanted to do. If this was the standard, I was out! Luckily I stuck around to find out that ALL levels of quilters are artists! Even ones like me who may never get past SID!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tinabug
Saturday I drove to Long Beach, CA for the International Quilt Show. I thought I could use some inspiration and looking at all the beautiful quilts should help. They were so beautiful, just gorgeous pieces of art, each one. But, instead of being inspired I was intimitated, how on earth could I ever even attempt such a quilt??? and for that matter how long would it take?? Ye gads, I must be making rags compared to those fab quilts. Any way, I did spend some money on some cute fabrics pieces and some tools and stuff. I took the coast highway home to contemplate the day and decided I would not aspire to be a quilt artist, but will enjoy the time I get to put together some beautiful fabrics. long sigh. :)
You need to remember that your quilts ARE your art. I have seen amazing quilts too, but I know they are not for me to copy, just for my pleasure. That is why I go to shows. (I have 'borrowed' color ideas or uses though) :-D Make sure to look at the quilts here to, we are all differently-abled, and that is OK.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:13 PM

Oh I would love to attend one of the big shows. Actually I would love to attend any of them. :-D I am interested in all types of quilts. I love to look at the antique ones, to see the fabrics and handwork of the past, I love to look at the traditional ones, as those I can see someone snuggling under, and I really, really really love to look at the art quilts. While I will never ever be in their league, I would love to do in fabric that which I cannot do with any other media. I have a stack of photos that I would love to make into wall hangings. I have several more traditional quilts I would like to make for snuggle time. The only quilts I just can't seem to get into - well, I won't mention those as I don't want to hurt anyone, but even on that type of quilt that is not my thing, I can definetely admire all the time and excellent workmanship of them. Its just like anything else - there are the "gods", then there are the rest of us who do a great job with what time, energy, talent, will, etc that we have. All can coexist, all can be proud of what they have done. I am a great nurse, but do I aspire to be one of the best known in the country and admired by all? Nope. I just want to come into work, be the best nurse I can be on that day, and make sure my little babies get all the care I would give my own. Same with quilting. I want to give it my best while I am doing it, and since I am new to it, I have a lot to learn, but I am not competing with anyone else. Just want to do my personal best while relaxing and enjoying myself. Even if nobody else ever sees them, that is fine by me. Virg
Old 08-01-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by everbtrue
The first guild meeting I went to sounds just like this. A fab art quilted showed her 'show & tell'. It was soooo beyond anything I could do or even wanted to do. If this was the standard, I was out! Luckily I stuck around to find out that ALL levels of quilters are artists! Even ones like me who may never get past SID!
For the record, SID is just as warm and cuddly as FM or QBC. (Quilt By Check)
Old 08-02-2011, 06:46 AM

I love to do so many things:

I love to sing - but do it in the shower, when home alone, or in the car. With groups too. But, I am not the next American Idol. and that is OK because I love to sing.

I love to read - almost anything without too much gore or explicit and detailed sex. I love the feel of the books ... and the ease of my Nook. But, I am not an editor or critic, and that is OK because I love to read.

I love to go to the theater. Again, I have my favorites. But, I know I am a ham actor. But I am not a professional actor, playwright, or a director, and that is OK because I love to see others perform.

I love to sew. I make shirts and other clothing. I make comfortable clothes. But I am not a couture designer or model, and that is OK because I feel great in what I make.

I love to quilt. It lets me be free with color and design. I make comfortable quilts and maybe a few artistic wall quilts. But I am not a worldknown quilt designer or artist, and that is OK because it gives me another opportunity to be me, quilt for others, and have a great community surround me.

It is more than OK to do what we love and not be at the peak of that realm. It is more to give us peace and joy. Those who are at the peak inspire me to be better and I am thankful for them.

ali
Old 08-02-2011, 07:07 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AliKat
I love to do so many things:

I love to sing - but do it in the shower, when home alone, or in the car. With groups too. But, I am not the next American Idol. and that is OK because I love to sing.

I love to read - almost anything without too much gore or explicit and detailed sex. I love the feel of the books ... and the ease of my Nook. But, I am not an editor or critic, and that is OK because I love to read.

I love to go to the theater. Again, I have my favorites. But, I know I am a ham actor. But I am not a professional actor, playwright, or a director, and that is OK because I love to see others perform.

I love to sew. I make shirts and other clothing. I make comfortable clothes. But I am not a couture designer or model, and that is OK because I feel great in what I make.

I love to quilt. It lets me be free with color and design. I make comfortable quilts and maybe a few artistic wall quilts. But I am not a worldknown quilt designer or artist, and that is OK because it gives me another opportunity to be me, quilt for others, and have a great community surround me.

It is more than OK to do what we love and not be at the peak of that realm. It is more to give us peace and joy. Those who are at the peak inspire me to be better and I am thankful for them.

ali
VERY well-said! :-D

I can find inspiration in all quilts both art and traditional, even those that are at this stage beyond my abilities - though I always aspire to do better and push myself further. There are always little ideas in the design, colours, quilting motifs etc that I can use. I incline more towards what would be called 'art quilts' at this stage of my quilting journey. These quilts give me more scope for creativity, I don't like to work to patterns or traditional block designs where once I've chosen the fabric, I know exactly how they'll turn out. To me, that's boring. I want to enjoy the process not just charge as quickly as possible towards the finished piece.

I don't 'look down on' other quilters who are not the same as me though and I DO feel that there is some kind of 'inverted snobbery' on the Quilting Board from time to time that art quilts are not 'real quilts'. They ARE, just as much as a 'blankie' is. Perhaps it stems from this 'intimidation' you speak of.

I'm sorry I just don't understand the attitude of not going to these shows due to feeling intimidated. There are generally (at least at UK shows) sections for traditional quilts too so if you don't like the 'art quilts', don't go and look at them :?
Old 08-02-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Originally Posted by happymrs
Each & every quilt is a work of art! Just think of all who do not quilt, & are clueless about even trying. Quilting is for our souls, much better than therapy, & more affordable. Quilt shows are for inspiration, &, admiration. Don't let those fabulous quilts get you down, just go back home & work on your own works of art, & enjoy the journey! I love quilt shows, but must admit, I go to shop more than drool over the quilts in the show, lol.....
I was there at the Long Beach show. We spent most of our time shopping and looking at the vendors quilts (that were "real" quilts, that someone could actually use) then looking at the pieces of 'Art". In fact, by the time we got to look at all the quilts I was hurting too bad and just sat with all the bags and stuff while my friends looked at the quilts. I am not an "Art quilter" either. Maybe someday I will attempt something like that. I love to look at them but right now I am more into making something that will be loved and used and maybe even dragged around the house by a toddler or child! I love to see the colors that are used. I confess that I do enjoy looking at quilts that are actually useable more so than the Art ones. The Road to California Show in Ontario in January has a much better mix of Useable and Art quilts.
I'll put the January on my calendar. Thanks for the info.
Frankie