Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I Will Never Again........

Isn't there some saying or psycho thing that the people who point the finger at others are just trying to deflect the attention away from themselves because they really are not perfect?

I thought of that with your comment that the women labeled good quilters didn't have the best product...they must not have thought anyone would notice with their good reputations!

Sounds like you could create circles around that person. Creativity, I think, is the biggest and best part of quilting. Sometime whenyou ae going through a qullting magazine, check the seams and corners. You will be very surprised what passes for 'perfect and publishable'.

you have found out something that will free you to really enjoy your craft from here on out. congratulations.

i discovered many years ago, in relation to my job, that i really knew much more than i thought i did. also, that some of those people that i thought were above me in skill were really faking it or getting by. since then i have had much more confidence in my own skills. this has allowed me to do so much more in all my endeavors.

keep going and never let them see you sweat. (tee-hee)

Power Poster
    Nothing like seeing what kind of work "the others" do up close!!! :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    Good for you!!

Lady T love your avatar quilt block.

Yes, we are hard on ourselves, but I do want to make one point. In swaps, I do not 'square up'. I don't want to use blocks with blunted triangles. Leave it to me, the receiver, to square things up if desired. I can always fudge in my sewing to keep sharp triangle edges for a block that isn't exact, but if you cut it off, I can't fix it. They end up in the orphan block box, not the intended quilt. If your block is off more than 1/4 inch, you need to resew, not chop it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    to Thine own self be TRUE....do what you want, but maintain YOUR standards, do not aspire to be at the standards of others, for you know not what their standards are!

Just keep reminding yourself of that every once in a while.

Good for you. This proves a statement that my Grandmother made to me when I first started hand quilting. I kept telling her that my stitches weren't very good and was constantly ripping them out. She said "No matter how hard you try to be perfect, it ain't going to happen".

Blog Entries
    :thumbup:

Well said. When I sew I want to have fun not be forced to do this and that.

I am NOT a perfectionist and my quilting is not perfect. In fact, I would hate for anyone to look at the back of my quilt tops. But I finally figured, heck, it's inside the batting, so if my seams don't all go the same way - so what! If my seams are not all exactly 1/4" - so what! If I have to fudge by easing one of the seams or stretching one of the seams - so what! I'm not entering a contest . I am doing this because I love it and I want to bless my family with my creations. So I try to keep my criticism of my work between me, my DH and my LORD! :P

Our guild had block of the month. You got a block pattern for a dime. They told you what colors to make it. You made it and brought it into the next meeting. Everone that made a block got their name put in the darwing. The winner recieved all the blocks. Well, If you won half of the blocks weren't usable. The weren't square, not large enough, lumpy, and some months someone would win 20 blocks and the next month maybe only 4 people made blocks. So that month they got theirs back and 3 others. This year you but a pattern for a dime, make the block bring it in to show and keep it. At the end of the year you will have a good stat for a quilt and they are all the way you like them.

I call that the "VAN GOGH" syndrome and ALL true artists suffer from it at one time or another. Most quilters KNOW where every SINGLE off stitch is in every quilt they make. The recipients could care less...they are just thrilled to get a beautiful quilt, yet we clobber ourselves with the failed "perfection club" over minor bobbles etc.

I'm finally to the age where I can be much more accepting of ME (and my hobbies)... flaws and all. It's a nice place...

Nice post!

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    You are so right. We should start a chapter of Nitpickers Anonymous. No pointing out errors or apologies about our our own needlework allowed. Life is too short to tear ourselves up for not being perfect. Really, anybody ever met a perfect person?? Me, either.

So now it's time for me to stop being chicken, quit practicing, and actually MAKE something!! :lol:

See. We're our own worse critics.

Blog Entries
    Well said.

Blog Entries
    Good for you. I've never taken part in a swap but would think that at least ironing them was just good manners.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Everytime I have participated in a block exchange it is shocking to me that they are so poorly constructed and aren't squared and supposedely are done by expert quilters. So I am no longer ashamed of my work. I think I do very nice work, I am very pickey especially if it is going to someone else.

When life gives you scraps, make a Quilt.

Good for you! Just enjoy your craft and your talent!

Blog Entries
    In MHO, people pursue hobbies or artistic endeavors for 2 reasons: for the love of the opportuity to express your creative/artistic self, or to prove to yourself/others that you are proficient/perfect in execution of some favorite
    endeavor.
    I don't want to disparage the 2nd group -if they are happy, then I am happy for them. However I belong to the 2nd group - the "I do many responsible things well, but this is my chance to throw caution to the winds & see what I can do without (much) concern for criticism. The art work of quilting/cooking/knitting/gardening/painting/etc. is the acknowledgement of your own preferences/point-of-view/ and the sense of fulfillment when you can say "This is ME!"
    No craft or art can move forward without brave souls taking a chance & making a small or bold change in the status quo.Bring passion to your art, execute it as well as you can, & ignore the negative!!! :thumbup:

Congratulations on getting to this point in your quilt journey. I admire you for it. I, too, had a perfectionist mother, and inherited her penchant. So I am getting over that. Still.

Three cheers for you!!

Power Poster
    Good for you. Quilting is supposed to be fun, not work, and we make it work when we are too hard on ourselves and too critical. I'm one of those as I am a Virgo and basically a perfectionist (in certain areas of my life - let's be clear here, it's not in everything), but I try to do my level best on whatever I'm working on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast