Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Will Never Again........ >

I Will Never Again........

I Will Never Again........

Old 09-27-2011, 06:29 AM

quilting should be fun.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:39 AM

Good for you. Keep chugging. You are a great quilter and the ones that are "so far above you" are just stupid !!Seems to me that they need to fluff your own sails.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:40 AM

I hear you! Be true to yourself and don't listen to those other voices! They either can't do it, won't do it, or are envious of your talents. Keep on designing.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:42 AM

After I had been quilting for about 6 months a friend asked me to attend a small local quilt show with her. I was told that this was put on by women who had been quilting for over 30 yrs and all were considered to be experts. Well, it didn't take me long to discover that their workmanship was no better than mine. That was a tremendous help to me because I then learned to relax, which in turn improved my workmanship even more. I too think it is rude to turn in a block for a block exchange that is not even pressed. We all have off moments, but there is a difference between doing sloppy work and just having a hard time assembling a certain block.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:45 AM

i understand where you're coming from! music teachers seek perfection from their students - i worked on one simple song for an entire school year. Name of the song? Nobody knows de trouble I've seen! And i still don't like it!

Anyway, when i started quilting, I was a perfectionist, then had the opportunity to be a quilt angel one year at the Houston Show. I never seen so many thread tails on quilts in my life! Now i relax and enjoy myself! It's a whole lot more fun now!!!!

So, my suggestion? Take a deep breath, relax and don't worry about those other quilters!! Have yourself some fun, girlfriend
!!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:55 AM

clsurz, this was a very good post and lots of great replies. Being the curious person I am, I would love to see some of your creations. I am sure others would too. :-)
Old 09-27-2011, 07:01 AM

I find fault with my own work. I then get discouraged and want to pitch it. I do set it aside and go back later to only deal with the issues and make a better project out of it. I read this saying one time and I laugh when I think of it. Perfection is a fault and I have none. I think no one is perfect and neither is the World so be yourself. Gain confidence in your work and you will be please. So who says you have to please everyone.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

I'm never very hard on myself about my quilting. I either like the way it is or not too pleased with it. Then I forget it and go on to the next project. Practice makes perfect.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
clsurz, this was a very good post and lots of great replies. Being the curious person I am, I would love to see some of your creations. I am sure others would too. :-)
Look under pictures. I have posted some scrappy tops I made couple months ago. They are titled

Scrappy Sunbonnet Sue and Bill Tops

No Pain No Gain Crazy Quilt

I have other projects I'm working on. I can't stick to just one project at a time. I get ideas and have to start on it while it's in my mind and than leave it and come back to it when something else pops up to add to it.

Right now I'm almost done having done as my husband called it "an abstract" which will become a wall hanging. He says it reminds him of Africa... have no idea why but that is what he sees. I will try and take a picture of what I've done so far in next couple days and post it and than again when it is complete. In this project I used all scraps of fabric I had in a bag.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:19 AM

About time ......