Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I will never miter corners again! >

I will never miter corners again!

I will never miter corners again!

Old 10-23-2011, 08:59 PM

Mitered borders can be tricky, but they really do make the quilt look great IMHO. Watch a tutorial and try again on a small piece. Good luck. I want to do them on a wallpaper stripe border, but I've been putting it off for about a year.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:08 PM
QM
Power Poster

I do them all the time. Once you do them following a good guide, they hare not at all hard. Not every set of instructions, however, says you MUST press and starch or size well before you start. You need to leave slightly more than the border width beyond the stopping point on each side.

My instructions from my wonderful teacher were to 1. sew to 1/4" from the edge on each side. 2. Fold the body of the quilt on the diagonal, so that one border is exactly over the other. 3. Use your 45* mark on your ruler to cut both borders at once, being sure to leave your seam allowance. 4. Pin carefully. 5. Sew from the inside out.

They do get tricky if you want to line up patterns of border prints, so do the basics on the first go.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Power Poster

I guess it takes practice but mine never turn out good.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:54 AM

There is a whole lot of difference between mitering "binding" and mitering "borders".
Old 10-24-2011, 03:03 AM

Mitered borders are worth the effort...maybe practice on a small piece before adding to a quilt. I don't do them all the time, but there are certain fabrics that they really are necessary...like when using a stripe border. They make a quilt look so "professional"...like a mitered frame on a picture. Keep trying!
Old 10-24-2011, 04:06 AM

As others have said, dont give up. Once you find "your" method you will be soooo happy. They really are not difficult. And in some cases they are the crowning touch.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by almostfree
I am trying to make this cute "easy" table runner for fall, but these corners are a mess! I am almost in tears! I should have just put binding on it and forgotten the mitered border. Any pointers on mitering corners? :cry:
Mitered Corners are very easy once you can relax a bit and not over think them. Go to YouTube and google Mitered corners.
There wa a post on the QB a few weeks ago but I found it to intense the YouTube is much easier. and you don't cut your corners until after you've mited them. Way Easy!
Old 10-24-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by QM
My instructions from my wonderful teacher were to 1. sew to 1/4" from the edge on each side. 2. Fold the body of the quilt on the diagonal, so that one border is exactly over the other. 3. Use your 45* mark on your ruler to cut both borders at once, being sure to leave your seam allowance. 4. Pin carefully. 5. Sew from the inside out.
I follow similar rules, but I a) leave extra fabric on all 4 borders until after the miter is complete and b) use the 45º angle line on my ruler to mark the sewing line, not the cutting line. Then I baste on the line from the corner out, check it for accuracy, stitch it (or rip and try again), trim the seam, and it's done. By leaving the extra fabric, you get one or more do-overs for free and by basting the line first, if you need to rip, it's just basting. ;)
Old 10-24-2011, 04:41 AM

How do you bind your quilts without mitering the corners?
Old 10-24-2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by daisydawg
How do you bind your quilts without mitering the corners?
I think you confusing mitered Corners with Binding, Mitered Borders not binding