Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I wish tutorial videos slowed down a bit and showed good techniques. >

I wish tutorial videos slowed down a bit and showed good techniques.

I wish tutorial videos slowed down a bit and showed good techniques.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:59 AM

Default I wish tutorial videos slowed down a bit and showed good techniques.

I have watched a number of tutorials (Missouri Quilt Company, Elenor Burns, etc.) and while I understand they are trying to fit a large subject (making a particular quilt or focus on one element such as FMQ, etc) into a short video, I wish that they would still show them doing tasks using a good technique.

Specifically, the pressing is usually featured in a very haphazard fashion and usually shows them dragging the iron across instead of "pressing". You also hardly ever see pinning fabrics together. I have a hard time believing that they can keep the fabrics together and run the machine at such a high speed yet keep an accurate seem and not have the fabric edges eventually pull apart towards the final part of the strip. I am still trying to learn good techniques and I would find it very helpful to find a set of videos that shows slowly good cutting, pressing and sewing techniques.

This video in particular shows exactly what I am talking about --http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5WgTyqB8Pc. It is a good video for showing how to make that quilt but you can't honestly believe that that is how she cuts, presses and sews to make a good quality quilt. This is not a slam to that company or any other video maker, as I understand they are trying to present a topic in a short period. However, it does seem like they could add a few seconds to make some of the tasks more realistic. If you know of any good videos I would love to be pointed to them.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

I agree that more "detail" for some of the steps would be helpful. Sometimes the one step I really did not understand - is the one that seems to be barely mentioned or completely skipped over.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

You might look for Sharon Schamber videos. You do have to pay for them, but she doesn't do things the quick, easy and sloppy way.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:46 AM

Thank you dunster, I will look into that. That sounds promising.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

Some tutorials - free or not - are better than others.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

Eleanor Burns is doing the show to get you to buy her books. She and all the other shows on PBS have a limited time slot for the show to squeeze into. There is NO substitute from taking classes at your local quilt shop where you can get personal one on one time with a professional quilt instructor. I had one student come in with a sewing machine she had NEVER CLEANED!! I helped her get out the accumulation of dust bunnies and got oil on critical machine pieces. She was soon back to quilting with a good learning experience under her belt. You can't learn everything on a video. XOXOXO
Old 12-29-2013, 10:59 AM

I suppose some of these videos are trying to sell the product and not techniques as with missorie star. I know what you mean but very detailed videos don't appear to exist. I was looking for how to join the eight se cations of a lone star, with all point meeting in the centre.sofar can't find it .
Old 12-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

If you want detailed, step by step instructions, you would probably like the Craftsy classes better. I think youtube videos are intended to demonstrate a new design or technique not necessarily the basics in sewing. Sometimes they are to demo a new product or book that they want you to purchase, so they don't want to give too much away.

Last edited by Tartan; 12-29-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:03 AM

I think that DebraK is correct. The free videos are great and I would not call them"slapdash". They are meant to show a particular technique to make a particular quilt. You can purchase many videos on HOW to quilt, pinning snd pressing etc. Is that perhaps what you are looking for?

Oh and when I sew strips together I never pin. That is not showing a lack of technique. My machine sews straight and true - pinning would be a waste of time!

Last edited by sewmary; 12-29-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:14 AM

There are very detailed videos on how to do the specific techniques. To find them you must be very specific in your search. Many of the videos also take for granted you already know how to do these techniques and have some experience and therefore leave them out for time saving.

How to press seams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sw5QJr2mGw
How to pin fabric
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK_79KdJVIg
Free motion quilting for beginners
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFcITNjuGnM

Last edited by crocee; 12-29-2013 at 11:23 AM.