Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: ID Quilt pattern?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Marcia_PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    western Pennsylvania & SW Florida
    Posts
    316
    I love the pastel star quilt from the quilt show posted by labug at
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-111499-1.htm (9th photo).

    Can anyone ID the pattern? Or figure out how to make the blocks? I'm stumped!

    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    bj
    bj is offline
    Super Member bj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,573
    I don't think I've ever seen that layout. It is very pretty. I hope someone can help you with it, as I'd also like to know. :-D :-D

  3. #3
    Senior Member Marcia_PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    western Pennsylvania & SW Florida
    Posts
    316
    As I look at it, it looks like the blocks may be set on point because of the setting triangles along the top.

  4. #4
    Senior Member PWinston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North Central Arkansas
    Posts
    864
    Blog Entries
    2
    Looking at the block on point, I've come up with something and will attach some very rudimentary hand drawings. It appears the large star may be pieced and then it has sashing around it. I don't know how to regularly piece one of the sashing parts because it is an odd size (3" x 3 1/2") so I drew a paper piecing template for it. I will be interested to see what someone else comes up with

    Pastel Star#1
    Name:  Attachment-179518.jpe
Views: 56
Size:  47.7 KB

    Pastel Star#2
    Name:  Attachment-179521.jpe
Views: 79
Size:  33.0 KB

    Pastel Star #3 - Paper Pieced
    Name:  Attachment-179523.jpe
Views: 82
Size:  53.6 KB

  5. #5
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    44,524
    Blog Entries
    45
    The blocks are set on point. If you turn your head at a 45 degree angle [ LOL ], you can see that the block is pictured as below. I don't know that pattern name, but I hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    44,524
    Blog Entries
    45
    I see PWinston came up with a drawing of that very quickly!! However, the blocks on the edge are doubled. There is a single flying geese on the side, not doubled.

  7. #7
    Senior Member PWinston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North Central Arkansas
    Posts
    864
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    The blocks are set on point. If you turn your head at a 45 degree angle [ LOL ], you can see that the block is pictured as below. I don't know that pattern name, but I hope this helps.
    In my first post, I made it more difficult that it had to be. Based on how you pulled the block out, it is just a star with flying geese, squares and rectangles around it. You would just have to add a row of flying geese around the setting triangles to get the finish of the posted quilt.

  8. #8
    Super Member fayzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Destin, Fl
    Posts
    1,881
    Blog Entries
    1
    I love that pattern too.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Marcia_PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    western Pennsylvania & SW Florida
    Posts
    316
    Thanks for helping me think about this. I think I would put the block together like this photo (cropped and enlarged--not nicely--from the original quilt photo): 8 flying geese blocks facing each other, the star block, and the square in the corner. There seems to be a strip of fabric between the flying geese. I'm sure there are other ways!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Junior Member applegramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    SW Missouri
    Posts
    251
    BLESS YOU, BLESS YOU, BLESS YOU...FOR COMING UP WITH A PAPER PIECED PATTERN. I LOVE PAPER PIECING, AND APPRECIATE ANYONE COMING UP WITH THIS TYPE PICEING PATTERN.

    ANYONE HAVE A PAPER PIECED CARD TRICK PATTERN?
    I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE ONE!

    Helen...MO

  11. #11
    Senior Member PWinston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North Central Arkansas
    Posts
    864
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcia_PA
    Thanks for helping me think about this. I think I would put the block together like this photo (cropped and enlarged--not nicely--from the original quilt photo): 8 flying geese blocks facing each other, the star block, and the square in the corner. There seems to be a strip of fabric between the flying geese. I'm sure there are other ways!
    This is how I envisioned it when I diagrammed the block - -just flip my first drawing over and it will be in the same alignment as your picture. The only problem is that the flying geese blocks are not typical flying geese. It is my belief that flying geese dimensions are typically that the height is 1/2 the width (i.e. 1 1/2" x 3", 2" x 4", 3" x 6"). The geese dimensions in this pattern do not meet that standard criteria. Thus, my reason for paper piecing those units since I do not know how to traditionally piece non-conforming geese.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Marcia_PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    western Pennsylvania & SW Florida
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by PWinston
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcia_PA
    Thanks for helping me think about this. I think I would put the block together like this photo (cropped and enlarged--not nicely--from the original quilt photo): 8 flying geese blocks facing each other, the star block, and the square in the corner. There seems to be a strip of fabric between the flying geese. I'm sure there are other ways!
    This is how I envisioned it when I diagrammed the block. The only problem is that the flying geese blocks are not typical flying geese. It is my belief that flying geese dimensions are typically that the height is 1/2 the width (i.e. 1 1/2" x 3", 2" x 4", 3" x 6"). The geese dimensions in this pattern do not meet that standard criteria. Thus, my reason for paper piecing those units since I do not know how to traditionally piece non-conforming geese.
    Okay, I didn't realize that about the geese! Back to the drawing board!

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Alturas, CA
    Posts
    8,494
    Card Trick isn't hard to make into a paper pieced pattern, just get a piece of graph paper and go for it.

  14. #14
    Senior Member grammatjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lincoln NE
    Posts
    867
    Blog Entries
    8
    Funny, someone else did it the same time as I did. Here is what I came up with.

    They can all be half square triangles.

    Then a border around the star, the border is about half the width of the small sashin on the outside border.

    And small sashing in center of outside geese border.

    multiple blocks seem same as orig pic
    Name:  Attachment-179662.jpe
Views: 16
Size:  52.2 KB

    one block, updated, neetened up a little
    Name:  Attachment-179690.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  34.1 KB

  15. #15
    Super Member fabric whisperer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    Posts
    1,108
    I just studied this area of snippet in PhotoShop on my Mac, and enhanced a screenshot... I am not seeing the additional border... so could they have done a 2-pc-fabric for the part of the HST where it looks like there is a small gap between the little triangles?

  16. #16
    Senior Member PWinston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North Central Arkansas
    Posts
    864
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcia_PA
    Quote Originally Posted by PWinston
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcia_PA
    Thanks for helping me think about this. I think I would put the block together like this photo (cropped and enlarged--not nicely--from the original quilt photo): 8 flying geese blocks facing each other, the star block, and the square in the corner. There seems to be a strip of fabric between the flying geese. I'm sure there are other ways!
    This is how I envisioned it when I diagrammed the block. The only problem is that the flying geese blocks are not typical flying geese. It is my belief that flying geese dimensions are typically that the height is 1/2 the width (i.e. 1 1/2" x 3", 2" x 4", 3" x 6"). The geese dimensions in this pattern do not meet that standard criteria. Thus, my reason for paper piecing those units since I do not know how to traditionally piece non-conforming geese.
    Okay, I didn't realize that about the geese! Back to the drawing board!
    Duhhh!!! I was limiting my thinking on this. The block is the one that you centered in on and as I had pictured in my rudimentary sketch except that I did not draw the correct size flying geese for the non-star portion of the block. The flying geese in the "sashing" or non-star portion of the block are 1 3/4" x 3 1/2" (that is assuming an 8" star). The finished block would be 11 1/2" square. If you make it this way, you just set the blocks on point, add the setting triangles and you've got it finished.

    You can make it the way others have shown it, however, they do not take into consideration the extra row of flying geese on the outside blocks. If you make it that way, you would have to add flying geese to the setting triangles.

    OK, this has worn me out. I'm happy with our rendition of the block.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Marcia_PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    western Pennsylvania & SW Florida
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by grammatjr
    Funny, someone else did it the same time as I did. Here is what I came up with.

    They can all be half square triangles.

    Then a border around the star, the border is about half the width of the small sashin on the outside border.

    And small sashing in center of outside geese border.
    That makes it very clear--thank you!

  18. #18
    Senior Member Marcia_PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    western Pennsylvania & SW Florida
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by PWinston
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcia_PA
    Quote Originally Posted by PWinston
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcia_PA
    Thanks for helping me think about this. I think I would put the block together like this photo (cropped and enlarged--not nicely--from the original quilt photo): 8 flying geese blocks facing each other, the star block, and the square in the corner. There seems to be a strip of fabric between the flying geese. I'm sure there are other ways!
    This is how I envisioned it when I diagrammed the block. The only problem is that the flying geese blocks are not typical flying geese. It is my belief that flying geese dimensions are typically that the height is 1/2 the width (i.e. 1 1/2" x 3", 2" x 4", 3" x 6"). The geese dimensions in this pattern do not meet that standard criteria. Thus, my reason for paper piecing those units since I do not know how to traditionally piece non-conforming geese.
    Okay, I didn't realize that about the geese! Back to the drawing board!
    Duhhh!!! I was limiting my thinking on this. The block is the one that you centered in on and as I had pictured in my rudimentary sketch except that I did not draw the correct size flying geese for the non-star portion of the block. The flying geese in the "sashing" or non-star portion of the block are 1 3/4" x 3 1/2" (that is assuming an 8" star). The finished block would be 11 1/2" square. If you make it this way, you just set the blocks on point, add the setting triangles and you've got it finished.

    You can make it the way others have shown it, however, they do not take into consideration the extra row of flying geese on the outside blocks. If you make it that way, you would have to add flying geese to the setting triangles.

    OK, this has worn me out. I'm happy with our rendition of the block.
    You quilters are an awesome group of people! Thank you so much for working on this problem :D

  19. #19
    Senior Member grammatjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lincoln NE
    Posts
    867
    Blog Entries
    8
    You can make it the way others have shown it, however, they do not take into consideration the extra row of flying geese on the outside blocks. If you make it that way, you would have to add flying geese to the setting triangles.

    OK, this has worn me out. I'm happy with our rendition of the block.
    It took me awhile to figure out what you meant about the setting triangles. Now I get it - thanks for showing me the flaw in my quick pattern.

    So, I tried just doing the one side & bottom, then making it into an entire quilt, and came up with the same problem!

    Finally I found if we did a setting triangle, it works. We would then need make corner setting triangles with 2 sets of the side geese.

    my reworked block doing only side & bottom
    Name:  Attachment-179913.jpe
Views: 16
Size:  54.9 KB

    to make up the missing piece in the setting triangle
    Name:  Attachment-179914.jpe
Views: 17
Size:  17.4 KB

    top is right using new block, but sides still wrong
    Name:  Attachment-179915.jpe
Views: 17
Size:  42.5 KB

    but, if use the first block, with only single geese on all 4 sides, then add setting triangle...
    Name:  Attachment-179916.jpe
Views: 17
Size:  23.3 KB

    it comes out right! Finally!
    Name:  Attachment-179918.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  67.2 KB

    CORNER SETTING TRI
    Name:  Attachment-179928.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  20.5 KB

    oops, wrong graphic for final before, now is right
    Name:  Attachment-179947.jpe
Views: 19
Size:  57.2 KB

  20. #20
    Senior Member Marcia_PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    western Pennsylvania & SW Florida
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by grammatjr
    You can make it the way others have shown it, however, they do not take into consideration the extra row of flying geese on the outside blocks. If you make it that way, you would have to add flying geese to the setting triangles.

    OK, this has worn me out. I'm happy with our rendition of the block.
    It took me awhile to figure out what you meant about the setting triangles. Now I get it - thanks for showing me the flaw in my quick pattern.

    So, I tried just doing the one side & bottom, then making it into an entire quilt, and came up with the same problem!

    Finally I found if we did a setting triangle, it works. We would then need make corner setting triangles with 2 sets of the side geese.
    Wow! That's fantastic, grammatjr! You really put your thinking cap on. I appreciate it. I will save this information and really want to try this pattern.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.