Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas/advice on quilting this >

Ideas/advice on quilting this

Ideas/advice on quilting this

Old 09-17-2020, 04:55 PM

It's just such a pretty quilt. You've done a beautiful job. I love seeing other people comment on this thread because it brings me back to look at your work!

Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that the quilting distance recommended by the batting is that distance in all directions, right? So if I'm looking at your butterfly correctly, you mean it's 8in from edge to edge of the top wings. In my mind, that means from the top edge of a top wing to the bottom edge of the diagonal bottom wing, is going to be longer than 8in because diagonals are longer than straight sides (ie diagonal of a square is always longer than the side). You may wish to measure just to verify how close it is and decide?

What if you mixed some of the butterfly shapes from your stencil in with the leafy meander? Kind of like, little butterfly cousins flying in the leaves with their big gorgeous butterfly applique cousins?
Old 09-17-2020, 05:34 PM

First and foremost, a standing ovation, that quilt is spectacular - congratulations!!

When I first looked at it, I thought that echoing the butterflies is a great idea, with the leafy meander around the rest of the quilt. In my opinion, you can never have too many butterflies.

Again, spectacular quilt! I love it!
Old 09-17-2020, 06:20 PM

very pretty! I would echo around the butterflies and do some type of swirls to travel through the sashings.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:05 AM

I believe I would first stitch in the ditch on each block. Echo one line of stitching inside and outside of the butterfly. This will accent the design of the butterfly and secure those to the quilt as well as anchor the batting in place. There are many pretty designs to put into the sashing that would highlight that space and yet not detract from the work done on the butterflies. Well done!
Old 09-18-2020, 03:03 PM
Power Poster

All I know is it is very pretty. No idea how you should quilt it.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:28 AM

Beautiful work!! I love your colors!
So many possibilities for quilting! I think a nice echo to emphasize the butterflies with some detail on the wings would be pretty and then meandering leaves as suggested or scrolls inbetween would enhance the applique.
Whatever you decide it will be outstanding!