Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for attaching quilt label??? >

Ideas for attaching quilt label???

Ideas for attaching quilt label???

Old 05-30-2016, 07:49 PM

Default Ideas for attaching quilt label???

Last year I hurriedly finished a quilt for my granddaughter's nursery. My DIL simply had a picture of a quilt (it was in a picture of a baby and wasn't the feature of the picture...just in the background...but my DIL loved it) and I re-created the quilt and she loved it, but I just now finished the label for the quilt. I made a tiny block that looks like the quilt for the label. It is 8" square and my concern is how to permanently attach it to the back of the quilt. I'm afraid that 8" of label will "bubble up" if I simply sew the perimeter of the label to the back of the quilt. Does this make any sense? Should I use some sort of fusible stuff? If so, what? If not, help???? Thank you everyone!!
Old 05-30-2016, 08:01 PM

Don't think it would bubble up, but if you think it will, just place some decorative stitches in the middle of the block. Like some feather stitches, x stitches, daisy flowers etc, just to tack it down and look pretty.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:10 PM
Power Poster

Fusible washes away, so stitching is necessary. I've never had a label ( bubble up) don't know why that would happen.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Fusible washes away, so stitching is necessary. I've never had a label ( bubble up) don't know why that would happen.
Pellon 805 doesn't wash away. It does get softer in the wash, but the fabrics are permanently fused (same is true with Heat & Bond and Misty Fuse).

To answer running's question, yes, you need something with 8" of fabric or it will try to pull away from the quilt & stitches will snap over time with washings/use. Either fusible web or Alene's Fabric Fusion glue would be what I'd recommend.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:11 PM

I would hand stitch it down then embroider pictures suitable to the front of the quilt.you need to do all this by hand to ensure you don't go through to the front.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:57 AM

I would piece the label into the backing prior to quilting. I have always been concerned about losing a quilt and someone picking out the stitches or ironing the label to release it. Just me...esp if putting one in a Guild show. Do I add labels for every project. Nah. Just me.

sandy
Old 05-31-2016, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

I don't think it will bubble up. Having it securely attached to the quilt is the best was to secure the label.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:46 AM

I use a double faced iron on, iron onto a corner after quilting, and add binding while sewing label into binding seam. I have never found the fusible to wash away, or bubble. If you take a micron pen and write the owners name somewhere on the front of the quilt; in a flower, disguised in a print, etc., that person will be able to prove it is theirs, even if the thief takes the label off. You can also quilt their name into the quilt.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:06 AM

These are all great suggestions! I always try to attach a label because I have a few quilts from my mom and from my DH's family that are not labeled and those of us still alive do not know who or when they were quilted. I will make an extra effort to get that label onto/into the back of future quilts!! Thank you everyone for helping out on this!!
Old 06-01-2016, 05:45 AM

I try to do the label and put it on the back before quilting and that holds very well and prevents bunching.