Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Ideas for camouflage fabric?

Ideas for camouflage fabric?

I acquired 30+ yards of this fabric a while back:

Name:  Desert storm camouflage fabric.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  218.3 KB

It was used for military garments in Desert Storm. There was something wrong with the design that made it stand out rather than blend in (I think the problem was the lightest color in low light), so a new camouflage pattern was used.

Any suggestions on how to put this fabric to use? It's good quality, mostly - if not all - cotton. There are only just so many pairs of drawstring pants I can make!

Shopping Tote and bag patterns would work with this fabric. Camo is still "in" this year. If the fabric is resistant to fading you could make outside pillows or cushions too.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Power Poster
    Shopping bags would be great. If it isn’t too heavy, a Shadow Box quilt top would look neat with the camo as the big squares.

Backing on a quilt

Quote Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
    Backing on a quilt
    I like this, and it's the right weight. I forgot to mention that the fabric is a sturdy shirt weight, suitable for uniforms in a hot climate.

Now to figure out what the front of the quilt should look like! Maybe lush tropical greens with plenty of foliage on the front and desert on the back?

In a different part of the boards, this was shared with me for a quick and easy donation quilt. I have a lot of collections of fabrics and quite a bit of those are 10" squares from my old swapping days so I'm always trying to think of ideas for those themed sets.

This is by Wilmingon and features their precuts which nicely match my swapped fabric size! Basically, 10", 5" and 2.5" strips.
    Simplish
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K76_K7ZcvI

I have thought of many ways to use this out of my stash. Like a navy blue solid with red/white/blue homespuns for the rectangles and a variety of star scraps for the squares. Or I have jungle animals, particularly jungle cats in those 10" squares just sized exactly for either of the square sizes plus a piece of cheetah type fur design yardage for the strips. If I need to, I have other jungle animals or jungle foliage.

The lush tropical idea is great but for your desert camo back, I'd be pulling out some dinosaurs for the other side fabrics. Sort of a play that the fossils are hiding under the dirt, but surprise! they are still in dinosaur form.

The other idea that hit me hard is the Labyrinth Walk design done in the same colors as the camo. But that's because I bought the pattern (I rarely buy patterns) and it's on my someday list.

Donation quilts made of squares with sashing in between - teen boys seem to love camo.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I would make stacked repeat cut hexies, octos or even dresdens since you have so much.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

my experience is pretty limited but a one block wonder???

I just finished a small lap robe size quilt for my great grand son with fabric of this type and he absolutely loved it. I put a darker green with it

I would donate a lot of it to a church that does donation quilts. They can always use backing material.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    How about the backing for little boys quilts. Do the fronts in animal things - big critter appliques, zoo things, construction sites, trucks and cars, etc.

How about a Quillow? One version....there are many https://www.patchworkposse.com/quillow-pattern/
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Backing for a QOV for a Desert Storm veteran,

Or,

Make "tent" (card table covers) for kids to play in.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-06-2019 at 12:44 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Little ones would love a play tent made with that fabric!

I had purchased 60" camouflage fabric which was a bit heavier than ordinary cotton. I used up a lot of my husband's t-shirts fussy cutting out the desired graphics. I used a 911 pellon interfacing and then just placed the t-shirt cut outs on top of camouflage as random as I wanted. I used a zigzag stitch to adhere to top of fabric. I used flannel on the back and 80/20 poly for batting. I longarmed it by loosely following the camouflage pattern. It made up pretty quick and I liked that I was able to place all t-shirt components anywhere I wanted in lieu of adding borders. It is one of his favorite quilts and definitely great for a guy quilt!

Still Sew N - I love that idea! I'm suppose to make two camoflouge quilts to be used by two young boys while ice fishing. I bought a nice winter camo fabric, but just could not figure out what to do with it. It would be super easy to cut out different fish and applique them on top and quilt it up. I can put their names at the top too.

I was hoping to have these done by the time we have our family reunion in July (only time I see them) and this I could do.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Isn't it awesome how sometimes we stumble on just the right idea for our own dilemmas?

I was a happy solo quilter for many years but then I got hooked on the creativity of other people, thank you all Quilting Board members!

I would make duffle bags for kids. They always have something precious to store and save and would love something of their own.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
    I acquired 30+ yards of this fabric a while back:

Name:  Desert storm camouflage fabric.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  218.3 KB

It was used for military garments in Desert Storm. There was something wrong with the design that made it stand out rather than blend in (I think the problem was the lightest color in low light), so a new camouflage pattern was used.

Any suggestions on how to put this fabric to use? It's good quality, mostly - if not all - cotton. There are only just so many pairs of drawstring pants I can make!
    Quilt Backing is what I'd think..And you can always share w/others in 3 yd increments.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-07-2019 at 03:20 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

I'd definitely use it for quilt backing. For the front, I see Brown Teddy Bears.

If you have any grandkids I'm sure they would love a tent with this fabric!
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

Blog Entries
    If there is a shelter near you, what about making drawstring pants with pockets to donate? You could make either adult or child sizes.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

This is a good idea as it takes about 10 yds for one tent, if I remember. At least I think it did for the ones I made and I made 6, tee-pee style. Butterick 4251 is the pattern I used. I made 2 like this black one. One for the friend that gave me the fabric and one for my own grandchildren. Check out my Tee Pee album if you want to see more.

Manalto, this seems like the fabric someone also gave me but I didn't have but about a yard and a half, not nearly enough for a tent and I would think too thick for a quilt......Name:  DSC04498.jpg EMAIL.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  204.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
    If you have any grandkids I'm sure they would love a tent with this fabric!