Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas needed! >

Ideas needed!

Ideas needed!

Old 03-03-2020, 02:44 PM

Default Ideas needed!

My DH is fixing up a really old rocking chair of his grandmothers, for his brother, which I'm sure is over 100 years old. My job is to make a pillow for the seat and I can't imagine what would be an appropriate pattern/fabric to use for this. My first thought would be to use a grandmothers flower garden pattern with reproduction or civil war type designs/colors, but don't have a clue as to if that would be appropriate. It's not a really big deal that I get it really correct, but it would be nice to have it look remotely authentic. I've also been instructed that a label describing whose chair it was and approximate age of the chair. Any ideas on any/all of this would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 03-03-2020, 03:06 PM

Maybe consider a braided cushion/mat instead. In Grandma's family wool ended up in rugs, whether it was pants or skirts or jackets originally. They weren't quilters, more about down comforters and embroidery and such, but quilt type fabrics also ended up as kitchen rugs.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

You could always do a cushion out of Levi’s as they have been around that long.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:20 PM

so the chair is turn of the 1900's? I'd go with a wool scrappy of some kind--probably not GMFG but something more simple/manly.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:33 PM

My husband had one like that n he decided to go with the leather look as that was what was on the chair Back then they used cow hides n deer hides to cover chair seats it looks right in time with the others we have
Old 03-04-2020, 04:44 AM

Many chairs of that era also had needlepointed seat cushions. Usually a dark burgundy background with a floral motif. Not hard to do at all and very durable.

Otherwise, sorry, no help on what kind of quilting pattern would work for you.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:55 AM

What a treasure! You may want to find out where they are going to place the rocker then use the colors in the room as your inspiration for the cushion colors and patterns (fabric choices). The flower garden pattern will certainly maintain an antique feel. Please post your project when you are done!
Old 03-04-2020, 06:48 AM

Oh, thank you all so much for your suggestions...am so glad I asked as my ideas just weren't feeling right. I have lots of darkish wools, so I think I will just make a plain pad with that. I will check on color scheme in their home first as was suggested! The needlepoint idea is really intriguing and if that wouldn't add years to my project..I tend to drag things out...that really appeals to me! DH is on a mission though...wants this done next week.., so time is of the essence! Thanks again! If I can figure out the picture thing, I will post a picture as it is really a cute little rocker!
Old 03-04-2020, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

Try out using a cording in the seams to make it more durable. You can buy the cotton cording and cover it to make it match. Just baste the covered cording on to one side and then sew the main pieces together to get it positioned right. Make clips to turn the corners.