Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Ideas for table top design wall

  1. #1
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,667
    Blog Entries
    194
    I just found this at Michael's online shop and thought humm, that would be a cool to cover with batting for a table top design stand

    http://www.michaels.com/Creatology%E...p-Easel/kd1550,default,pd.html?cgid=products-kidsteachers-basicsupplies&start=66

  2. #2
    Senior Member quilter41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    N Indiana
    Posts
    529
    I agree, but I can't find a price.

  3. #3
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    I made myself a design wall persay. I took a bullatin board with the aluminum frame. I then took some felt and a butter knife and I stuffed the felt into the frame. It made it pretty tight and I can set it on my cutting table against the wall. It is so light that I can take it to class too if I get the erge. It came out very good I thought. It measures 36 x 24.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    361
    What a great idea ! Thanks Beth!!
    Colleen

  5. #5
    Super Member tjradj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,329
    Blog Entries
    1
    Love the bulletin board idea!
    The easel for me would take up space that I don't have.
    What I have is an old door on hinges - sideways on the wall so I can flip it up. When it's down it rests on my son's air hockey table. When it's up, the outer surface is a layer of styrofoam with pillow ticking on it * I use pins to put things up.
    When it's down, I have an ironing surface of two layers of batting covered with pillow ticking.

  6. #6
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,667
    Blog Entries
    194
    good idea on the bulletin board

    I was at a quilt shop and they took 4 big bulletin boards and covered them with batting and they hang on the wall for the design wall, that way if they move, can just take the design wall with them like carrying picture frames

    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    I made myself a design wall persay. I took a bullatin board with the aluminum frame. I then took some felt and a butter knife and I stuffed the felt into the frame. It made it pretty tight and I can set it on my cutting table against the wall. It is so light that I can take it to class too if I get the erge. It came out very good I thought. It measures 36 x 24.

  7. #7
    Senior Member quilter41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    N Indiana
    Posts
    529
    I like the bulletin board idea too. Inexpensive, but useful. More money for fabric. LOL!

  8. #8
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,667
    Blog Entries
    194
    I couldn't find a price either, I tried to call them on 1-800 # and was on hold for 15 minutes and finally hung up

    Quote Originally Posted by quilter41
    I agree, but I can't find a price.

  9. #9
    Senior Member quilter41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    N Indiana
    Posts
    529
    Next time I go to South Bend I will try and ask price.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula
    Posts
    830
    Yesterday, I purchased two framed bulletin boards of cork 24x36 in. at Walmart. The price was ten dollars each plus tax. It is my intent to attach batting to the front and use them as a design wall:-) I had wanted the gridded flannel on a pull down roller (like a shade) but that is not in my future. I can lean the bulletin board design wall against a wall or some furniture. I also like the idea of portability.
    Thanks for sharing ideas!

  11. #11
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,667
    Blog Entries
    194
    yes, this is what the quilt shop did took bulletin boards and covered front and sides with batting and just hung them on the wall, close to each other for a cool design wall and also is portable just take down and carry with you.

    I am going to make some for the back of my 2 doors in our bedroom and sewing room for more display boards.

    Quote Originally Posted by kay carlson
    Yesterday, I purchased two framed bulletin boards of cork 24x36 in. at Walmart. The price was ten dollars each plus tax. It is my intent to attach batting to the front and use them as a design wall:-) I had wanted the gridded flannel on a pull down roller (like a shade) but that is not in my future. I can lean the bulletin board design wall against a wall or some furniture. I also like the idea of portability.
    Thanks for sharing ideas!

  12. #12
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,667
    Blog Entries
    194
    ok, let me know, I think it would be cool!

    I also have a small metal easel that I use with my oil paintings and would hold a 18 x 24 canvas and could cover the painting canvas with batting

    Quote Originally Posted by quilter41
    Next time I go to South Bend I will try and ask price.

  13. #13
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    My husband just donated two bulletin boards...I just went down in the cellar to get them. poor timing...he jus cleaned out the cellar and got rid of 85 percent of the stuff down there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.