Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: ideas for teachers gifts for christmas

i need ideas. we have 2 small great nieces, their mother lost her job due to illness. we need gifts to make to give to the teachers. other than regular bed quilts, anybody know what we can make quilting wise as gifts :?: :?: :?: :?:

all ideas will be considered and appreciated. thanks in advance. :D :D

Blog Entries
    Table runner and place mats ? Place mats and coasters ? Wall hanging
    Just a thought
    Sharon

How about a lap quilt?

An apron, a loaf of bread or other dessert, and the recipe card for the dish?

How about a tote bag. Always need something to carry supplies in.

Quote Originally Posted by mic-pa
    How about a tote bag. Always need something to carry supplies in.
    I have to agree with a tote bag. My DD is going to be a preschool teacher after she graduates from collage. Right now she is student teaching in a classroom. All her teachers and associates want a tote bag like I made her. Just a tote made from primary colors and is a star pattern. Easy to make, yet she uses it every day. Sorry there are no pictures. I can't get it away from her long enough to take one. LOL

Blog Entries
    I'm a teacher and my favorite gift of all is a gift of writing. :D A written piece that tells what the child likes about him/her or the school year. There's just not room for the stuff a teacher gets year after year.

If you insist on an object--ornaments are special to me--I have the child write their name on it and think of them every year when it's hung on the tree. :D

Good luck deciding.

When I was teaching I told my students that if they really felt they needed to get something for me it either had to be hand made (can't get enough of those paste covered creations) or they could buy a book for the school library in my honor. All these years later, I have the heart-felt crafty stuff all over the house, and the school library still has great books.

You could have the kids make a mini-fleece wrap for the teacher to throw over her shoulders--I was always chilly after school--the heat went off as soon as the busses pulled out but I stayed to finish my work there instead of at home.

Teacher's do get buried under all the gifts. A small token is good or something pratical.
    An ornament with the child's name and year that way it doesn't have to match anything. It would be cute if it is a favorite teacher to print the child's picture on one side too.
    A "grocery bag"....it could be quilted or just a heavy fabric to encourage "going green". They are a big thing around here now with the grocery stores doing away with plastic and charging for bags.

Blog Entries
    I have made gifts in a jar for teachers before. You can do a search to find the directions. You layer the items to make the cookies, brownines, or what ever in a large mouth canning jar and attach the directions.

Debbie

What about book marks??? they can be dated also.
    Billie G

We made the teachers small wall hangings. Irish chain with stenciled apples. Small hearts stitched and hand quilted on fabric and had the entire class write their names on the back(teachers were speechless) Colored with special crayons and made aprons. Just some ideas......good luck!

Bookmarks! That is what I am doing for my kids teachers. I have 5 of them to make/buy for, so with the economy, bookmarks are the way to go!

Hey, I was a teacher and never got "buried under gifts," wait a minute! Something fishy is going on here!

Lol!

I was thinking a tote bag, but the ornament sounds nice. One thing I might add to the bookmark is a couple of magnets (you can get the ones for purses at JoAnn's or just buy the sticky back ones for crafts) and make one of those book marks that wraps around the next page and stays.

actually, I thought of that too. i didn't know if it would be wanted, even tho' i realized, the teachers do not need 30 extra pieces of knick knacks from every class every year. thanks, this is a very good idea.

ps. how about personalized bookmarks? book covers? etc.

You could have the kids make a mini-fleece wrap for the teacher to throw over her shoulders--I was always chilly after school-
    i thought of this too. most of my instructors here at the college, complain of being cold too. i have too many "power surges" :!: :!: myself, to ever get cold again. :P :P

a loaf of bread or other dessert, and the recipe card for the dish?
    never thought of this, great idea. thanks. :D

If you insist on an object--ornaments are special to me--I have the child write their name on it and think of them every year when it's hung on the tree.
    this is do-able, the girls are 6 and 10. just the right age to get them interested in quilting. thanks.

Table runner and place mats ? Place mats and coasters
    we are of kindred minds. the first things i thougt of. thanks.

How about a tote bag. Always need something to carry supplies in
    i am a tote bag junkie!! this is always on my list. thanks.

cjc
    Somewhere online I saw a free pattern for a paper-pieced bookmark that was for teachers... It had an apple, pencil, etc.. I googled it, here is the link
    http://www.patchpieces.com/teacherqmark.pdf

Somewhere online I saw a free pattern for a paper-pieced bookmark that was for teachers... It had an apple, pencil, etc..

thank you so much. this will help bunches.

I know that you will come up with gifts that will please everyone. :thumbup:

So Christmas and children gifts to the teacher is all about the child and not about impressing the teacher
    I totally agree. and we are not trying to impress anyone. we just want to be able to have something for the children to give to their favorite teachers.

I am in Texas too, where are you? I am 20-25 miles from Mexia, Waco, Corsicana, and Hillsboro. Hubbard City, Texas. Home of the Jaguars!!

It sounds as if you already know what kind of Christmas gifts to give teachers. :D Please enjoy the Christmas season.

I used to live in the southern Dallas County. About a year ago we moved to Granbury, south of Fort Worth.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast