Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for using vintage bits of quilts >

Ideas for using vintage bits of quilts

Ideas for using vintage bits of quilts

Old 02-13-2013, 06:18 AM

Cool Ideas for using vintage bits of quilts

Everytime I can, I purchase vintage quilts, usually ones that need alot of tender loving care...I guess most people, except quilters, would throw away.. the pieces can be small or a complete quilt with big holes in it.I wish to use these "scrapes" and creat something...there is so much love and history to these pieces.

Anyone have ideas? Please post anything you have seen or made from these wonderful pieces from the past.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:49 AM
dd

A bought a little basket made from an old quilt. Sorry I can't post a pic but I left my camera at my daughters house. The little basket has white diamonds with red background going around the outside. The top edge and the handle has the rope in it and wrapped with a scrap. Then it's whip stitched on the top edge of the basket to make it stand up nicely. It's hand quilted and the points don't match up but it's really cute. It's about 7 1/2" x 4" x 4 1/4" plus the handle. I just thought it would make a cute "Moses" basket for a baby doll.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:55 AM

My mother had a quilt my grandmother had made that was deteriorating. She cut it up and made angel dolls for us girls where the dress was a portion of the quilt.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:01 AM

I have sean old quilts made into teddy bears. I saved my mother-in-laws quilt someday maybe I can get the bears made for the kids, or by the time I get to it it may be the grandkids, well maybe great grandkids but there is still hope for someday.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:06 AM

I've made the teddy bear, and a little framed thing that says happiness is homemade with a heart shaped
quilt scrap under the words. My sister made me a vest using scraps from an old quilt.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:49 AM

I have a couple of pieces of crazy quilt my grandmother made, about 2ft x 3ft. I use one piece as a scarf on my nightstand but I have been thinking about framing them with other blocks and putting together somehow into a quilt just for me. These are special to me because grandmother is the person who taught me to sew when I was young.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:53 AM

Years ago at a quilt show some one was selling cream colored blank note cards that had a fabric quilted heart on the front. She said she uses vintage quilts that are beyond repair for the cards. I kept the card since I loved the idea.

i have seen Xmas stockings also made of vintage quilt pieces which were nice.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 AM

I've seen the seats of chairs covered in old quilts. They look so pretty. I know at a craft show one year someone had made journal covers with old quilts. Wish I had bot one.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:03 AM

I have seen pin cushions, sofa pillows, teddy bears, frames blocks, are a few of the things I've seen.