Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for wedding anniversary quilt for my wife? >

Ideas for wedding anniversary quilt for my wife?

Ideas for wedding anniversary quilt for my wife?

Old 03-17-2015, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

The first thought in my head was Double Wedding Ring, but you said you are a beginner. This is a pattern that just screams "Scrappy". Boxed Squares is so easy and anything goes. Also I recently did a top that has machine appliqued hearts all over it.
Attached Thumbnails tropical-nights-finished.jpg   youre-all-heart-top-done.jpg  
Old 03-17-2015, 10:14 AM

I think a Double Wedding Ring quilt would be bit advanced for a "newbie"... but if by chance you may be brave enough to try it, Adam, I would recommend John Flynns book and templates. A better choice might be a scrappy log cabin quilt which is more suited for a beginner and is always a gorgeous quilt.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:30 AM

Hello Adam. welcome to our circle of friends, advisors, helpers, and enablers. I have just finished what is going to be an anniversary quilt for my husband (whole cloth quilted in the small oval design, kinda like a cameo, easy for me because I am just a beginner on my 6 year old quilting machine); I'll let you know what he thinks of it next week, our 48th anniversary.

The Boxed Squares shown above is one that I am working on now--2-1/2" strips sewed around a 5" square--I added 4-1/2" squares sewed together, then turned opposites, to set in between the Window Boxes (the name of my pattern from Moda's current BOM. I couldn't figure out how to tell you to make the squares, I am a visual teacher, so if you can't make heads nor tails of what I am trying to say, maybe someone else can help you out here. It is beautiful combination--I have used deep blue, gray, beige, floral and some speckeldy types; will post a picture when I can get to it.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:36 PM

One of the things I like to do when making a quilt for a special occasion, is try to link memories to it. I made one for dear friends and I made the blocks to represent things with meaning to them and us.
I also made my DH a quilt for our 40th anniversary and it is sort of like an I Spy quilt. I used fabrics that connected to special memories.
I made a quilt that would work great and is pretty easy if you can find the fabrics that suit. For example, if you love doing certain activities together, find fabrics to make squares for those activities. There are two ways you can display all the fabrics once you collect them; one is a modified rail fence and the other is in a shadow box quilt. The rail fence is much easier.
Sorry for so many photos but I want to show you what I mean.

The third photo is the modified rail fence and you can make the side bars of different fabrics to match the fabric in the center. I just happened to use all the same to represent sand for a beach quilt.
The 4th photo is the shadow box. It is scrappy in that every square is different, but for best effect, you do want all your shadows to be one darker color and your background to be one lighter color.
Attached Thumbnails 50th-done.jpg   finished-40th-quilt.jpg   just-beachy.jpg   favorite-things-finished.jpg  

Last edited by wildyard; 03-17-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:02 PM

Any pattern would do, just pick one you like. Look on online to figure what color is associated with the years you been
married and go from there. My most recent wedding anniversary was the 20th, that years color in emerald. If you can't
get it done for before your anniversary, wrap the fabric and the pattern...with the promise to get it done before the next one.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:20 PM

My first thought was making crazy quilt heart shapes to applique to a solid block foundation. You could even do quilt as you go if you wanted to.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:39 PM

I read all the people suggesting Double Wedding Ring. The sentiment is lovely but it is NOT I repeat NOT a beginner type quilt. I made one for my son and I nearly died before that ----was done. Do something you can enjoy and think loving thoughts while you are working on it. BTW Happy Anniversary. May your love grow like your stash!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:28 AM

The first thing that came to mind was double wedding ring, but it can be challenging. There is a simpler DWR that uses striped fabric, 2 circles sewn together with a square of batting with an arc of the striped fabric covering 1/4 of the diameter of the circle. Turn right side out using a little slit in the space that will be covered by the arcs of striped fabric, sew the circles together so that the striped fabric has seams at the corners of the square. It can also be done using lace. I forget what this type of quilt is called.

Bargellos are fairly easy to do. Heart quilts would be good for an anniversary. There are appliqued hearts and pieced heart blocks. One of the simpler pieced blocks would be a 9 patch with half circles that could be appliqued. Done in red and white, this could resemble the Norwegian pieced heart baskets.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

you could always do the mystery train ride that Judy will be doing starting this Saturday.
we get a clue (instructions) every week. it usually only take a couple hours to complete.
If you're in a rush, you do do the last one we did. it's #9. and you can see how it comes out.
they are scrappy, but you could do it more planned if you want.