Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for wedding quilts other than signing and double ring

Ideas for wedding quilts other than signing and double ring

I'm looking for ideas for a wedding quilt besides a signing quilt or a double wedding ring. I realize that any quilt can be a wedding present, but I'm wondering if anyone has done something besides the two I know about.

Right now my best idea is just incorporating the first names of the couple and their wedding date somewhere in the quilt.

Mitty - check our MorelCabin Creations. I am making" From This Moment - A Wedding Quilt". I will embroider with the Bride and Groom's name and date of their marriage. Here's the link: http://morelcabincreations.com.

My advice is any pattern you love to make. But don't ask what their "colors" are or themes. I made that mistake once and ended up with a really weird color combination that they quickly grew out of and wanted another quilt. The best advice I have heard after that was to make a neutral color quilt. Many couples start with a king size bed which is a huge quilt. Think about a throw size. You will be glad you did. Young couples change styles often.

Thanks Pamar, I will check it out!

Toverly, I should have added that I am going to make a throw/lap-sized quilt. I am not ambitious enough to try to make a queen or king, especially since I do the quilting on my DSM. Your point about the colors is a good one. I'd been thinking about asking them about their favorite colors, but I can see how that might not work out.

Lovers knot by eleanor burns

I too am on the fence about getting the colors from the couple. I did that for my nephew and his wife and their colors were not at all what I would have picked. That made me not like the quilt as much - they seem to still love it. I wonder in time when they repaint their bedroom how they will feel about those colors... I guess time will tell

The one that I am working on now I just picked colors that I wanted to use - I guess I will see how it settles with the couple

I think a throw size is a good idea as well. The first quilt I commented about was a king and I found out that the bride would use that on their couch - she loved the quilt and wanted to use it in the living room .. which it was really to big for

My cousin indicated they'd much rather have a couple of lap size quilts (his and hers) for watching TV during the cold winters in Indiana, as a wedding gift. So I made each of them a generous sized lap quilt in their family room colors (gray and white). I used a simple triple rail pattern for each. They were a big hit. And I made their dog his own TV quilt with the scraps!

Power Poster
    I would do a quilt pattern I wanted and have people sign the quilt backing. I would use big clamps over a table to hold the backing taut and let them sign or add advice on it. Mistakes and cross outs wouldn't matter and just make it more personal. Anything too bad could get a heart applique or label over it.

The first thought in my head was Log Cabin.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I have seen a log cabin pattern done up in light silver and white and greys. It was at Jordan Fabrics and it was very pretty. I love their website. You might like to go there and check it out. Good luck and let us know what you decide and share a picture if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    Lovers knot by eleanor burns
    Ooh, I like it! Even if I don't make it for this couple, I might make it just because some time. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I have seen a log cabin pattern done up in light silver and white and greys. It was at Jordan Fabrics and it was very pretty. I love their website. You might like to go there and check it out. Good luck and let us know what you decide and share a picture if you can.
    Any picture is going to be a long way off. I'm doing ridiculously advanced planning in that the couple isn't actually engaged at this point, but I'm pretty sure they're going to get there or move in together soon-ish and I want to be prepared because I am not fast. I like the silver/white/grey idea, though they have dogs so I might go more silver/light grey/dark grey.
    Last edited by Mitty; 03-08-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Hit 'post' too soon!

Name:  Kelsies Labrynth quilt (2).jpeg
Views: 1333
Size:  343.4 KB

This is a Labyrinth quilt I made for BFF's daughter's wedding last summer. Mine happens to be ginormous but you could certainly make something smaller and it's surprisingly easy too.
    Jane

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bungalow59 View Post
    My cousin indicated they'd much rather have a couple of lap size quilts (his and hers) for watching TV during the cold winters in Indiana, as a wedding gift. So I made each of them a generous sized lap quilt in their family room colors (gray and white). I used a simple triple rail pattern for each. They were a big hit. And I made their dog his own TV quilt with the scraps!
    Wow! What a great idea!

I agree that the Love Knot by Eleanor Burns is great! I made one and it worked up soooo quickly!Name:  IMG_0340.JPG
Views: 1371
Size:  85.8 KB
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams...live the life you have imagined. Thoreau

When my youngest daughter married I made a lap size quilt that had flowers native to Hawai'i, since this is where they live. In the outer borders I quilted their initials, the name of the location where they were married, the hotel where their reception was held, the date of their engagement and wedding. I also quilted in the border the Chilli's logo since that was where they met. Here's a picture of the logo.
    Name:  border quilting.JPG
Views: 1363
Size:  138.5 KB
    We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves. Buddha

I thought this was an awesome wedding quilt. The illusion of curves hearkens to the DWR but there is no curved piecing.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...e-t277259.html

I have made a few wedding quilts over the years. I had started using my monogramming mode on my machine to write to appropriate info on the binding. The one that became the 'greatest hit' ended up having all the info on one edge and various newlywed appropriate sayings on the others. The saying that I still thing most appropriate was "The greatest gift one can give to another costs nothing. It is called Love".

You have been given a lot of good advice here. I do really like the idea of two semi-matching throws.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

I made a Lovers Knot quilt for Granddaughter's close friend several years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Actually I made it in 2011.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Heart Wedding Quilt

I made this heart wedding quilt for my nephew and his bride last fall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like to check their wedding registry for colors and then make a lap quilt based on those colors and the design on the interests they have. For one couple that choose several of the bright colors of FiestaWare for dishes representing Africa where they met in the Peace Corp, I choose an improv pieced lap quilt with those colors and a neutral. Made it large enough for lap quilt or large table topper or wallhanging--figured they could do what they wished. For another that lived on West Coast near beach and met at the beach, I made a landscape type quilt with batiks representing beach, water, skyline with gradually setting sun. Since the groom's Mom said they basically had no color in their house due to hand-me-down furniture, I went with colors true to beach.

I haven't made a quilt for a wedding myself but the lady that owns one of the quilt shops I usually go to was chatting about this one time when I went in. She says that she likes to make a Christmas quilt for the the couple getting married. This way, they don't get tired of it because it's only out for a short time each year.

Blog Entries
    I made the quilt "From this Moment On" for a dear couple in 2013. Their colors were shades of blue I love how it turned out and so did the bride and groom. I made the silhouette in black and embroidered their names and date.

A Christmas quilt is a great idea.

I did a white work as a wedding gift that was very well-received. Their are some nice ones out there that are already stamped on the fabric now.

I think a log cabin is always popular because non-quilting people see it as an easily recognized pattern.

If you do their "colours" be sure you know what their colours really are. Their idea of "purple" might be totally different from your idea of "purple". (Ask me how I know.)

Watson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast