Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: If I am storing projects in ziplock bags will it hurt anything to put a dryer sheet in?

Quote Originally Posted by davidwent
    Ahhhhhh never thought about going the soap route! Genius!!! I also did not think about letting the fabric breathe. Great advice everyone Thank you so much!
    David
    The good thing about using soap is that if you do store stuff with unwrapped soap, the soap will last longer when you eventually use it. My former MIL told me to store unwrapped soap in the linen cupboard...still do it and smells so nice when you open the door.

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Gosh, David, now I am smelling garlic and bread and want to go have italian for lunch. Looks like you got to slide on this one...lucky man.
    Love it!

I think if you smoke in a house, it will go everywhere unless protected.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms
    Take a pair of panty house (does anyone still have any of those? LOL). Cut about a 3 inch piece across. Tie one end. Put in about 2 tablespoons of baking soda. Tie the other end. Voila!! Takes away smells but doesn't leave any!! I change out about every 3 months. I keep these in all my clothes drawers, closets, and any plastic containers I use. I even put them under the sinks to keep away that musty smell.
    What a super idea! I love this place.

I'm confused - I bought totes to store our material in (rubbermaid ones with the hinged lids) This is bad for the material? I was working on building a stash.

My aunt who quilted always used dryer sheets and cut them a little smaller then her applique pieces and stitched around them and then folded them right sides out through the little opening she left. I thought it was a great idea. Loved her quilts. The dryer sheets were used ones. She did not believe in waste.

I have had fabric sheets stain certain fabrics in the dryer. Don't know about putting them in a zipploc.

[quote=KarenR]I'm confused - I bought totes to store our material in (rubbermaid ones with the hinged lids) This is bad for the material? I was working on building a stash.

I store all my fabric in those plastic totes. There is no problem with a lack of air for breathing since they are not airtight. It just keeps my stash in something clear so I can see what's where ....until ... I get aroiund to the mighty "O" word (organizing). That might take awhile since I'm still on the 1st letter of the alphabet. "A" for Acquire. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltntime
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltlonger
    I've put in a "used" sheet was afraid a new one is to oily/greasy and may leave residue on material. I put one or two "used" in when I get a quilt top from a smoker and puff up bag and twist tie before I LA it!!
    Used dryer sheets would be the way to go. I know, if you use dryer sheets, you're suppose to scrub the wire vent with soap and water every few months to clean the residue from the vent.
    when we bought our new dryer, the salesperson told us NOT to use dryer sheets, because the lint screen is so fine... i hate them, think they stick worse than just about anything but dead skunk... so was happy to tell dil she can't use them anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms
    Another option from someone who is so allergic to things that I can't use any type household cleaner and can usually only wear 100% cotton. I can't use any type product that out-gases and believe me that is a looonnnng list. Just ask my allergist!!

Take a pair of panty house (does anyone still have any of those? LOL). Cut about a 3 inch piece across. Tie one end. Put in about 2 tablespoons of baking soda. Tie the other end. Voila!! Takes away smells but doesn't leave any!! I change out about every 3 months. I keep these in all my clothes drawers, closets, and any plastic containers I use. I even put them under the sinks to keep away that musty smell.
    I have plenty of baking soda, but I think I am allll out of panty hose :shock: :lol:
    David

the scents in candles are from oils so I'd be careful!

Power Poster
    I would use two used ones. Smell and chemicals no so strong after they have been through the drier.

Blog Entries
    I agree with jaciqltznok

Some fabric sheet like bounce have oils in then and will leave a oily stain

Diehard quilters seem to be adament about storing quilts in "pure" environments "no newspapers, no wood surfaces, no chemicals, etc. Seems the only safe storage is wrapped in a bed sheet or some specially treated paper. The concern seems to be the damage these chemicals/treated surfaces can do to the fabric. Not sure what's in our dryer sheets. I might consider this for an heirloom quilt, but since most of mine are "love quilts" that are washed, dried, dragged around, wrestled upon, etc. I'd think dryer sheets are just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by davidwent
    The smell is what I am worried about I LOVE LOVE LOVE to cook wit garlic, and I also enjoy (I'm ready for all the "eeeeewwwwwsss"LOL)the occasional cigar
    David
    I love the smell of a good cigar David. It brings back memories of my grandpa on the front porch with his after dinner on Sunday's, and that's a good thing :)

I have also taped a drier sheet in the lid of a container or in the back of a drawer so they do not come in actual contact with the fabric.

Okay...I think it is a sign that you have too many projects if you are worrying about storing your projects long enough that the fabric would deteriorate!! Just saying..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4