Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If I am storing projects in ziplock bags will it hurt anything to put a dryer sheet in? >

If I am storing projects in ziplock bags will it hurt anything to put a dryer sheet in?

If I am storing projects in ziplock bags will it hurt anything to put a dryer sheet in?

Old 03-02-2011, 05:18 PM

This might actually work better. The fragrance in dryer sheets gives me an instant headache ( I buy the non-scented ones - better but still not great).

and even though I'm a non-smoker I like the smell of some cigars (but wouldnt' want it in my fabrics or clothing!!!)
Originally Posted by bev195000
Good idea i use Pampers fragrance baby wipes i dry them out and pop in storage boxes they work a treat and keep some fabrics of mine nice, fresh and fragrance
Old 03-02-2011, 05:20 PM

How about just making up some project "bags" out of your scraps? Because you're the only one who will see them, you could get rid of a lot of uglies that way. If you want to put a drawstring or something on them, go for it. For me (I'm lazy), I'd simply make it a bit long and fold it over and safety pin the top down.

As to dryer sheets, bars of soap, etc., you could place those between the project bags so they never come into direct contact with the project fabric itself, but still have the advantage of the fragrance.

There's nothing quite so convenient as a zip lock, however, so when I do use them, I fold it up from the bottom two or three times and put that into my three-hole binder punch. When you open the bag back up, it now has lots of ventilation holes, but still keeps everything together and visible.

Hope some of this helps.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlonger
I've put in a "used" sheet was afraid a new one is to oily/greasy and may leave residue on material. I put one or two "used" in when I get a quilt top from a smoker and puff up bag and twist tie before I LA it!!
Used dryer sheets would be the way to go. I know, if you use dryer sheets, you're suppose to scrub the wire vent with soap and water every few months to clean the residue from the vent.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:36 PM

[quote=neeng]This might actually work better. The fragrance in dryer sheets gives me an instant headache ( I buy the non-scented ones - better but still not great).

I don't use dryer sheets at all. I use fabric softener in my last rinse (have a dispenser) and found I don't need the dryer sheets.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
wow, I would rather smell garlic and cigars than dryer sheets!! Hate that smell.
Me too- if I want to get a smell out of fabric- I wash it- no point layering something else on top of it!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by hatchet
Hubby and I smoke and I cook with onions and garlic a lot but never thought about it stinking up the quilting since it's in a separate room and we only do these things in the kitchen. If it's in a different room I don't see a problem but I'm sure if you use a used one it would be fine but I'd worry a bit about a fresh one. I prewash all my fabric and zip lock them, they stay fresh for years!!
I have a friend who smokes only out side, the oder from the cigs. stil gets into the house and anything that is made of fabric. I never say anything to her just deal with it. No need to step on feelings.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by davidwent
The smell is what I am worried about I LOVE LOVE LOVE to cook wit garlic, and I also enjoy (I'm ready for all the "eeeeewwwwwsss"LOL)the occasional cigar
David
Nothing wrong with a good cigar! I smoke one every now and then......outside, never in the house.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:14 PM

Nope,.....but the dryer sheet smell will eventually fade away.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:18 PM

Eeeekk....I have been stuffing used dryer sheets in my fabric stash at random to keep odors out. Some that is donated to our group smells funny even after washing. I sure hope I haven't been damaging the fabric. Guess I had better go check it all.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 PM

Would never use a "new" sheet as it does have an oil that will leave spots on your fabric........I store lots of my fabric (on my WIP projects, not general stash) and really have had no need to add a "fragrence".....However if you save used sheets (those that have gone thru dryer a couple of times) believe you would be OK as the oils containing the fragrence would be gone - but then you wuld not have the strong smell from the sheets either.