Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If only I'd kept a record.

Blog Entries
    Usually I keep a detailed record of quilts I finish in a binder. I keep the templates of the block, the size, a drawing of the block, snips of fabric I used, and any special directions. And a picture of the finished quilt. Well, wouldn't you know the only time I didn't make a record I sold the quilt unexpectedly and now all I have it the templates. So I encourage you to always keep records of your work.

Blog Entries
    I have been trying to convince my mom to do this. We both scrapbook and I have talked and talked about making a scrapbook with a picutre and all the directions, name, who she gave it to (she only gifts them not sells them) and put it all in a 12X12 album.

Blog Entries
    I'm not that organized! I've made so many quilts & have pictures of them, but have never saved any of the fabric for repairs :o{ I think this is something you have to do when you BEGIN quilting! I wish now that I had. so heads up to all you new quilters!

Blog Entries
    Why not buy your Mom an album to get her started.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I've learned this the hard way. I never used to document anything. I recently started a quilting journal to at least give myself an idea when projects were started, finished, what happened along the way, etc. where they end up and include pics. You just reminded me to take some pics of my current quilt in progress - thank you!

Not long ago, I posted some pictures of quilts I had made. I had done pretty good with keeping records of patterns used, fabrics used, etc.; but the one quilt that a number of QB members wanted, I could not find. I'm still searching if anyone recognizes this quilt.

Winter Holly Days - done 1999
    Name:  Attachment-134338.jpe
Views: 37
Size:  74.1 KB

I keep lots of digital pictures filed under a "My Projects" folder, and I keep a spreadsheet with information that includes the quilt size, date made, disposition, etc. I know I would never keep a paper log up to date, but I'm pretty good with updating the computer version.

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    Not long ago, I posted some pictures of quilts I had made. I had done pretty good with keeping records of patterns used, fabrics used, etc.; but the one quilt that a number of QB members wanted, I could not find. I'm still searching if anyone recognizes this quilt.
    I don't recognize this but want to tell you it's gorgeous.

Blog Entries
    Hey, Ever, if you know who bought your quilt, maybe they could send you a photo of it?

Sure hope so!

I have the best of intentions when starting every new project, but soon forget. Luckily I do take some pictures to send to my DC!

I have kept photos, but not records in a binder...what a great idea..I wish I were mor organized. Sure hope I use this idea because its a good one. Thanks

Blog Entries
    I started a binder when I started quilting. But, over time, I have stopped putting everything into the binder. I do take pictures, though, and have at least one pic of every quilt I have made. One of these days (when I have time....hahaha) I will sit down with my computer and print out all the pictures and label them.

Thank you for the advice. I have thought about it, but never really got there.

And I don't always remember to take pictures:(
    Two of my best work I don't have pictures of at all:(

Sounds like another excellent reason to have a quilting blog. It's easy and fun and your photos and records are available wherever you go :-)

Blog Entries
    I was one of the folks who was interested in the pattern. I still go back to the original post to see if the info turned up!

I have some info on my quilts, but now i see I should keep better notes.

Blog Entries
    my problem is, i didn't keep track when i first started quilting, maybe 6 years ago. i so wish i had pictures of my first quilts! many were raggedy quilts, but i put my whole heart in them!

and now that i do take pictures..it is when the top is finished..not after it is quilted and "really" finished.

Blog Entries
    That quilt is just wonderful. I too check back to see if the pattern turns up.

I started quilting about 5 years ago and kept a picture and information on all of them. I would never have thought to do this if my cousin didn't give me a quilt journal when I started. I also keep a journal and pictures on my computer and on a usb flash. It is nice to look back at quilts made and I can also see my progress.

Blog Entries
    By the time I have finished one of my little creations, I usually have become fond of it. So I happily take it's picture to put in my album, and jot down some notes about making it, where it is going, and if possible a snapshot of the quilt with the recipient. I like having this little record of what I've done, both for myself and for the future. I have my grandmothers quilts (one from each side) and wish I had a little more story about them.

I've thought of getting a book made by Snapfish/Flickr of my quilts as a keepsake and rememberance since many are given away. If I do that I will get two and make a note in the second one who I am passing my personal quilts on to when I pass away. It will be easier for them to know which quilt I mean rather than a word description.

I don't keep records that detailed but I have kept a picture of everything I have made in a photo album. I get patterns from books, don't use templates, but those pictures are invaluable.

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    Great idea ! Wish I had kept a Quilt diary of sorts. With pictures of my quilts.. alway have given them away.

Wow that quilt is gorgeous! Did you needle turn the applique? How did you get such pointy points? The colors are awesome!

Your quilt is just incredible. What method did you use for the applique?

I have started to take pictures of my quilts but a lot of them have escaped with no documentation. I always thought it would be neat to have a true journal describing problems, design decisions, dates and any other info that would capture the process.

If your referring to my quilt with the poinsettias applique, I use Steam 'N Seam 2 fusible & topstitch around the applique with a sort of side to side notch stitch- not exactly a zig zag.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma S
    Your quilt is just incredible. What method did you use for the applique?

I have started to take pictures of my quilts but a lot of them have escaped with no documentation. I always thought it would be neat to have a true journal describing problems, design decisions, dates and any other info that would capture the process.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast