Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If Someone Made a Quilt for You >

If Someone Made a Quilt for You

If Someone Made a Quilt for You

Old 01-26-2014, 10:12 AM

I would be so happy to get a hand made gift of any kind from friends or family. I still have everything the kids made in school as gifts for me. My DGD made an oval vase in HS art class and gave it to me as a present. She's a senior in college now and recently noticed that I still have the not so perfect oval vase on my bedside table and was shocked that I still had it. I told her how much I loved it and that it was special to me because she is special to me and she made it for me.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:37 AM

I would especially treasure anything that involved my grandkids...their handprints or photos or drawings.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:39 AM

I'd be excited by something in wonderful colours, with a harmonious layout, well made. Honestly, I'd be excited with a four patch if it met those criteria. Fancy is not necessary at all.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:31 AM

There have been quilts that I've admired, (some not even that much), never wanted to make but would gladly accept them as a gift.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

I hope that I would express the heartfelt thanks and gratitude to someone who makes me something, as I really cherish hand made items and although I know that some of the items I give may not always be master pieces, I would hope that the receiver would at least say thank you.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

Some very interesting, and heartfelt respones here. I love that so many of you have had someone make you something with their own hands and with love. It sure feels good to know that someone cares about you that much.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:05 PM

It seems I am always the giving one, I have made a lot of quilts and have kept very few for us. People see that I like to sew and always ask if I can make one for them. I have a problem saying "NO" and continue to make for others.

It bothers me when in good faith I send someone a quilt or the likes, and then never hear from them.
A year or two ago, I spent about $300 on a quilt kit by McKenna Ryan, which I spent hours and hours hand appliquing. A quilter lady on here said she knew of a young lady from a farm that was having a very hard time, and she was looking for a quilt pertaining to farming, so I offered to send her the finished blocks and she could put them together and pass along to the young lady for me. Never heard a word from her, not that she had received it, and no thanks was ever offered, very discouraged now in giving to anyone. I can only hope she would have completed and forwarded the quilt to the young lady - you just never know about some people.

It is nice to see the above members appreciate the efforts put forth by those that care enough to send
those pkgs on.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:36 PM

A lady I barely knew made a quilt for my baby son 44 years ago. It wasn't fancy material, it was just pretty little colored squares. I appreciated it so much because I was not in very good circumstances at the time. I still have that quilt.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:47 PM

It has been great reading the responses where there are grateful recipients. (It stinks to read of the other incident that was not acknowledged however!).
How special that some members met in person and a quilt was gifted.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:12 PM

Well, I love everything. But if someone was making me a quilt I would prefer something bright and colorful that would coordinate with every design change over the years. A simple design like Log Cabin or Jacob's Ladder. I would love that quilt just because I knew that person was thinking of me when I made it. And it would be the most beautiful, priceless gift ever!