Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If these blocks were yours...

If these blocks were yours...

What would you do with them? I won them but have no idea what to put with them. If I surrounded them with a simple 9 patch or 4 patch would they look right with them? I just have no ideas for them probably because there are so few of them, but I don't want to make more. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2416
Size:  807.6 KB

Table topper?

Table runner or if you are going to "plump it up" with with sashing, accent blocks and border you could do a tummy time baby quilt.

Power Poster
    I might use lots of bright different colours to do piano key sashing between and around the blocks maybe 1/2 the width of the white squares?

yes you can add nine patches or anything you want. I like quilts that are combinations of different blocks. Or surround them with different or the same sashings or squares of fabric. I suggest looking at some of the free patterns at Bonnie Hunter's site for inspiration.http://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/free-patterns.html
    Peggy

"Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are."
    -Chinese proverb
    http://peggybsquilting.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Alternating with 9 patch in the same color combinations would look really nice. I've actually seen a quilt made that way.

Quote Originally Posted by popover View Post
    Alternating with 9 patch in the same color combinations would look really nice. I've actually seen a quilt made that way.
    I agree with Popover. That would make a lovely quilt. Keep us posted.

If you like modern quilts, you could do a solid white top and scatter the star blocks sort of randomly across it. You'd have to play around with it on a design wall, but it could be a lot of fun. That would also give you lots of room to do some fun quilting.

Otherwise, doing some 9 patches in between or turning it into a table topper would work just fine.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    Alternate them with hourglass blocks. If you turn the hourglasses just right it will look like your blocks are on point. Plus it will almost double the size of your quilt.

KLO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    Alternate them with hourglass blocks. If you turn the hourglasses just right it will look like your blocks are on point. Plus it will almost double the size of your quilt.
    This sounded like a good idea to me and then made me think that you could actually turn them on point and add triangles to each side to make the blocks larger, square in a square sort of. You could also use sashing and borders to make it larger depending on how large you might want it to end up. Might have to do some math though!!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Good ideas. Anxious to see what you decide.

Power Poster
    How fond of them are you?

Do you really want to do something with them?

Would you like to have someone else win them?

Jim
    make a baby quilt...3 blocks by 3 blocks...leave center block as a solid background block and applique something in it personal for the baby...such as it's name
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

Thank you, there are some really good ideas here. I'll post a pic when I get one to post.

Personally, whatever I used them in, I'd leave out the warm colored one (top row, 3rd over). It clashes, in my opinion. If you want to use them but not make more exactly in that block, what about alternating them with scrappy, cool-colored pinwheels?

Quote Originally Posted by KLO View Post
    This sounded like a good idea to me and then made me think that you could actually turn them on point and add triangles to each side to make the blocks larger, square in a square sort of. .............
    Actually using the hourglass blocks would accomplish the same and would be a lot simpler to do.
    Once all blocks are sewn together, then it would appear that you had added the triangles.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

My mind went to a baby quilt....twinkle twinkle little star. If for a boy..sash with blue or girl..sash with pink and then add a cute print border. Have fun whatever choice you make!

Super interesting thread. I am having the same problem with some blocks I made. I need something to unite them. I see some ideas that might work for me. I will be anxious to see what you do to unify your blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by popover View Post
    Exactly what I would do, to make them look like the center blocks of an Irish Chain quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    How fond of them are you?

Do you really want to do something with them?

Would you like to have someone else win them?
    I totally agree - just because you won them doesn't mean that you have to use them. Pass them on to someone who will love them. I don't participate in such projects for this reason.

Blog Entries
    Throw pillows?

pal
    Since they have nothing to tie them together, you could incorporate them in an Irish Chain.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    If you like modern quilts, you could do a solid white top and scatter the star blocks sort of randomly across it. You'd have to play around with it on a design wall, but it could be a lot of fun. That would also give you lots of room to do some fun quilting.

Otherwise, doing some 9 patches in between or turning it into a table topper would work just fine.

Rob
    I agree...I like the look of these types of quilts..don't forget to show us what you decide to do..
    Kitty

Tartan beat me to it. I would also make piano keys for a border, with the keys being of a pastel sort to complement the stars.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    Those were my thoughts exactly!
    Cathy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast