Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you could recommend a quilting book to have on hand for reference...... >

If you could recommend a quilting book to have on hand for reference......

If you could recommend a quilting book to have on hand for reference......

Old 12-28-2015, 05:39 PM

Talking If you could recommend a quilting book to have on hand for reference......

The knowledge all of you quilters is so great, I thought I would pick your brain. What book(s)or resource of information that you refer back to on an occasion, or feel it is valuable to have in your library.

Thanks...

Kristy-not a beginner...definitely not a novice! :-)
Old 12-28-2015, 06:26 PM

I love Eleanor Burns . She is a wonderful teacher and her books are filled with quilting wisdom.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:39 PM

Is this for you? What kind of quilts do you like to make? I am very fond of the Lap Quilting books by Georgia Bonesteel. I did buy a book from Better Homes and Gardens called a Quilting Encyclopedia early on, and it had everything from hand sewing, applique, piecing and so much more in other types of sewing. But as I want to learn new projects that is when I buy a book on that style. And since my family has a habit of never getting rid of books (I swear it is genetic) I keep them forever. (I did send my sister the Eleanor Burns book "Egg Money Quilts" so I can share.) I'm sorry that isn't much help. Are you just putting together a library or trying to help someone else?
Old 12-28-2015, 06:49 PM

As reference books, I swear by The Quilter's Academy series by Harriet and Carrie Hargrave. While these teach perfect technique, you can always dial back according to your own disposition.

While there are now 4+ volumes, you need not purchase any that exceed your ambitions.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
Is this for you? What kind of quilts do you like to make? I am very fond of the Lap Quilting books by Georgia Bonesteel. I did buy a book from Better Homes and Gardens called a Quilting Encyclopedia early on, and it had everything from hand sewing, applique, piecing and so much more in other types of sewing. But as I want to learn new projects that is when I buy a book on that style. And since my family has a habit of never getting rid of books (I swear it is genetic) I keep them forever. (I did send my sister the Eleanor Burns book "Egg Money Quilts" so I can share.) I'm sorry that isn't much help. Are you just putting together a library or trying to help someone else?
This would be for me. I would say something like the encyclopedia you mentioned. I am going to try to go out side the "block" so to say. I want to try applique and Freel motion and would like to try some crazy quilting.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:13 PM

I have the Better Homes & Gardens Quilting Encyclopedia and pull it out every so often--glad I got it. I also use the spiral bound reference for quilting math (several titles out there with this) so I don't have to figure stuff myself! I also really like Joen Wolfram and Jean Wells books on use of color and improve quilting--wanting to do more of my own designs and both have several books that are helpful. And my Guild has beginner classes that include a notebook of very helpful "stuff"--most is information on different quilting topics that have been downloaded from the internet--I've added to it and started a similar one for long arm quilting as I use both frequently.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

My favourite for FMQ designs is Angela Walters book titled Shape by shape. It has design ideas for squares, triangles, circles, diamonds, borders etc. it really helps to plan how I will quilt the negative spaces on my quilt.

Last edited by Tartan; 12-28-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:13 PM

Better homes quilting book if you are talking about piecing a quilt. But shape by Shape by Angela Walters if you are referring to quilting is after sandwiching.
personally I would say the Internet offers many useful videos on topics eg MSQC.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:06 AM

That's kind of hard to answer. I, like most quilters seem to have a large stock of books. As your quilting progresses, you tend to purchase books with just a specific technique that you are trying to learn, eg. paper piecing, applique, free motion. I agree with some of the others, BHG Quilting Encyclopedia is probably the standard that everyone has. There are so many resources on line now, it's like a kid in a candy store, but I still like my hard copies!!!
Old 12-29-2015, 01:12 AM

Angela Walters book titled Shape by shape.

Thanks, Tartan, for the tip. Going to check this one out.