Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you haven't used basting spray, you owe it to yourself to buy it >

If you haven't used basting spray, you owe it to yourself to buy it

If you haven't used basting spray, you owe it to yourself to buy it

Old 03-09-2009, 02:54 PM

The first can I got (and only so far) stinks....horribly. But I got it on sale. I can't wait to try the 505..I've only heard good about it.

What I have is June Tailor and it says right on the can it won't work past 2 days. So, I use it to keep things straight so I can pin baste. I can't wait to try the 505. A friend of mine swears by it and it takes her forever and a day to finish quilting it. She pins only the outer areas as she hand quilts from the centers out. She has found that quilts last just about 6 months basted with the 505. Anything more than that....and it fades, which is why she does secure the edges as that's all she has left to do in that time.

Walmart sells 505 cheap for now, so I'll be stocking up.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:53 PM

I have spray-basted my quilts for years. Been exclusively using the 505 for about 15 months now. I have a couple that were sprayed a couple years ago that have yet to be quilted and they are still together. I have Pressed a couple with the iron before quilting cause they were hanging around so long they got wrinkled. The pressing may have helped keep them together a little better. I have 3 here basted with 505 that were sprayed over a year ago and they seem fine. I will probably press them before quilting too, cause they have gotten wrinkled. I like the 505 so much better than all the others I have tried.
To protect surfaces from over spray, I tape the backing down and before I spray I grab a couple of old sheets that we use for painting etc, and just lay them around the edges so we don't spray the floor. Most of the ones I baste now, I take to the church and put together 2 or 3 tables that are height adjustable and use those, so no getting on my knees on the floor. I am fortunate that I have helpers when I baste. I have trained my DH very well and also my sons girlfriend and they can pretty much do it on their own. I am lucky I have so much help. I will never go back to pinning a quilt.
I have not had trouble with shifting, sometimes the border may be a little "looser" cause I don't want too much spray hitting the floors.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:32 AM

I just checked the jhittle website and couldn't find 505 Spray. I clicked on the link purplemem was nice enough to supply but it led to a list of pages and I don't know how to navigate the site. Tried the category list and the alpha list. Couldn't find a little box to type in the exact product name. How do I locate the 505? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz
I just checked the jhittle website and couldn't find 505 Spray. I clicked on the link purplemem was nice enough to supply but it led to a list of pages and I don't know how to navigate the site. Tried the category list and the alpha list. Couldn't find a little box to type in the exact product name. How do I locate the 505? Thanks.

Try here for 505 Spray: http://jhittlesewing.funoverload.com..._items_2x.html
Old 03-12-2009, 09:08 AM

it is on page 2 of this weeks sales

http://jhittlesewing.funoverload.com..._items_2x.html

try this link
all you do is scroll down the page
Purple
Old 03-12-2009, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
(don't let cats walk across the quilt after you spray. Their feet get sticky. Ok they are funny to watch walk but it's probably not good for them. Don't ask. LOL)
Oh littlehud that is so funny. Reminds me of when my cats get hold of sellotape bits while I'm doing xmas wrapping....stuck on paws? HILARIOUS!

Luckily I read this board early on my quilting journey, so picked up on the praise of 505 after doing my first quilt. It is £6 from my LQS (about $8). I have not tried anything bigger than a twin size, so use an old queen size duvet cover to protect my carpet from overspray.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:11 AM

Thanks to Purplemem and Sewjoyce for replying -- I found it!!!
Old 03-12-2009, 09:32 AM

I love the stuff but have a hard time laying the batting and top down flat and straight I must be doing something wrong. On my placemats it was simple I guess because they are sooooooooo small compared to a quilt.