Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: If you live in the Northeast have you been to Marden’s ???

Quote Originally Posted by dasmith2
    In the Sanford location, does anyone know if they have solid backings in the wide size? I think I might need to make a list for my mom lol
    It varies - Sometimes they do - but I have been there when thay did not have much a selection.

The Sanford one has the best selection in quilting fabric from my limited experience - they have increased their prices recently (from a low of 2.99 to a low of 3.99/4.99 - but the last time I was there, they had bins of 1.99 fabric as well!!)

I was in Mardens in Ellsworth on Sat. They had a sale and I got many name brands for $1.00 per yard off the bolt and Thimbleberries for $1.99 a yard off the bolt. You had to look for the good brands but I got a lot of fabric!! I live in Lisbon and frequent all the stores. Love all the Mardens and feel lucky that they are mostly not to far from me and have brand names!!! Can't beat their prices.

Peggy

Blog Entries
    Their jingle is "Shouda bought it when I saw it at Mardens" Here today could be gone tomorrow. I shop at Waterville and Lewiston and Ellsworth and Gray all of the time, I heard that they might stop the fabric at Lewiston but that was long ago and they still carry it. You won' t be sorry by going to Mardens.

Blog Entries
    [quote=Nancy Ingham]A quilting friend introduced me to Marden’s Discount Store a year ago and periodically we make the trip to go and stock-up on fabric together. There are several locations throughout Maine however; we shop at the one in Sanford. They have a very large selection of quality fabrics at great prices. Their website says this in regards to their fabric:

“Fabric: To Marden’s fabric team, fabric is not just material. Fabric represents friendship, community and a way of life. From our fabric buyer and distribution employees right through to the associates in store that help customers one on one, hundreds of times a day, we love fabric!”

We shop for fabric 108” wide to back our quilts in just one solid piece of fabric. Most 108” wide fabric, 100% cotton, at Marden’s sells for $7.99 a yard. Although I just bought one fabric that I just love, 108” wide for just $4.99 a yard! I live in Laconia NH, but it is well worth the trip to shop and stock-up on fabric.
    Never heard of it ,but boy I sure wish we had one here in good ole Kentucky..Thanks for the info.]

Thanks for the reminder! Marden's has a large selection and it is always fun to poke through what is available. They increase inventory by buying out shops who are going out of business, thereby being able to offer fabrics at a considerable discount.

I always enjoy a trip to Maine. It doesn't hurt that there is a Bonanza Steak House just down the road a piece from Marden's (spoken like a true Yankee).

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Ingham
    A quilting friend introduced me to Marden’s Discount Store a year ago and periodically we make the trip to go and stock-up on fabric together. There are several locations throughout Maine however; we shop at the one in Sanford. They have a very large selection of quality fabrics at great prices. Their website says this in regards to their fabric:

“Fabric: To Marden’s fabric team, fabric is not just material. Fabric represents friendship, community and a way of life. From our fabric buyer and distribution employees right through to the associates in store that help customers one on one, hundreds of times a day, we love fabric!”

We shop for fabric 108” wide to back our quilts in just one solid piece of fabric. Most 108” wide fabric, 100% cotton, at Marden’s sells for $7.99 a yard. Although I just bought one fabric that I just love, 108” wide for just $4.99 a yard! I live in Laconia NH, but it is well worth the trip to shop and stock-up on fabric.
    :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Do you know if they sell on line?

It takes me 3 1/2 hours to get to Mardens but I make the trip about 4 times a yer and stock up. They have great fabric.

Blog Entries
    I love, love, love Mardens.........great selection of good quality fabric at cheap prices. Whenever i travel back home, I make sure to make a stop at Mardens...it is a must!!

JuneC, no they dont sell online. bummer huh?
    But I live only 20 minutes away, so its very convenient for me. I go at least once per week.

That is a real bummer - that they don't sell on line - UGH

A quilting friend introduced me to Marden’s Discount Store a year ago and periodically we make the trip to go and stock-up on fabric together. There are several locations throughout Maine however; we shop at the one in Sanford. They have a very large selection of quality fabrics at great prices. Their website says this in regards to their fabric:

go to the one in Portland they have a lot and its worth the trip!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathios
    It is hard to say if they have the solid backings...they might have them today, and they might be gone tomorrow. The Marden's buyer picks up bargains from store closeouts, out of print fabrics, etc. You never know what is in stock, as it changes daily. If you are going to make a list for your Mom, I'd provide her with plenty of options/substitutions.
    Kathios answered dasmith's question perfectly. I was last there the weekend before last and they had solids in the 108” width fabric in many colors, but that doesn’t mean that they do today? The woman that cut my fabric said that they had another 1000 bolts of fabrics to put out. Again, what was the width size of those bolts…I don’t know. Myself, I prefer a small print for my quilt backings and when I go I buy a variety of colors that would to match most any fabric. This last trip I bought white on white, soft beige on beige, brown, black paisley, red, and gold. Another quilter on this Board was right regarding discount/clearance bins; I bought some darling red lady bugs on yellow fabric to make a quilt for my granddaughter at $2.49 a yard. Marden’s also sells pieces of varies sizes including fat quarters, books and accessories (again always changing). Good Luck!

We stopped into Mardens on our last trip to Calais,Maine. They were selling fat quarters for $0.75!

Blog Entries
    If you are coming to Bar Harbor, there is a Marden's - huge and brand new in Ellsworth which you have to go through to get here.
    If you are coming here, PM me. We can meet. There are two other nice quilt shops here also. One you have to pass by as you come and is after Mardens and the other is right in town. She is moving to a new shop in a couple of weeks and it is going to be wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    I am planning a trip to see Maine in July - I think that is one of the shops that was recommended to me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OmaForFour
    If you are coming to Bar Harbor, there is a Marden's - huge and brand new in Ellsworth which you have to go through to get here.
    If you are coming here, PM me. We can meet. There are two other nice quilt shops here also. One you have to pass by as you come and is after Mardens and the other is right in town. She is moving to a new shop in a couple of weeks and it is going to be wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    I am planning a trip to see Maine in July - I think that is one of the shops that was recommended to me!

By far, in my honest opinion the best one is at Ellsworth.

Yes, I have been to Marden's. There is also a store in Lewiston, Me which is about 4 hours from Connecticut. Which is closer than Sanford.

I used to live in southern Maine and I used Marden's all the time. Over the years, the price has gone up on the fabric - you wouldn't believe how cheap it was years ago. I don't know if they still do - but they used to be VERY generous when they cut the fabric. I was very spoiled and when I moved back to NJ, it was tough to get used to Joann's giving you no more than one extra thread when they cut their material. I'm heading back up to Ogunquit in July and plan to make Marden's one of my stops!

I've seen wide backings there, but not a big selection. It's kind of a hit or miss thing, but the prices are great and the place is wonderful!!!!

Looked up their website. I've always wanted to go to Maine and this just may be a reason to make a trip. Thanks for the info.

We're headed to Maine in August. From the looks of thier webpage, I shouldn't have any trouble finding one near where we're going, maybe even a couple. Hooray!!!

Blog Entries
    I live just one town away so I shop the Waterville Marden's all the time. It's quilt shop quality material for greatly reduced prices. I don't think I could have taken up quilting without the local Marden's store.

Hello Fellow quilting friend! I live a half hour away from the Waterville,Me Mardens and I have to tell you I shop there ALL the time. 99% of the time I find their fabric to better quality than Joann's(which is right down the street from Mardens) and I can buy 3 times as much as I can elsewhere! Anyone who comes to Maine really should make sure they stop there for fabric! :thumbup: :thumbup:

No they don't sell on line thats the only bunner!
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNEC

Do you know if they sell on line?

anicra wrote: I don't know if they still do - but they used to be VERY generous when they cut the fabric.

They aren't as generous in their cuts as they used to be, but still no complaints here. I frequent any Mardens every chance I get. Am looking to introducing my dear friend from Washington State to Mardens when she comes this summer. I got some lovely Waverly fabric there also for my porch curtains I am going to be making.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast