Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you love to paper piece. >

If you love to paper piece.

If you love to paper piece.

Old 04-06-2022, 04:58 AM

I want big time!! Did not know something like this existed. I've just sent a link to it on Amazon to my adult kids for Bday and Mother's day gift ideas (my bday is is a few days before Mother's day this year)

My kids were just complaining that it's so hard to buy me gifts - most anything I've wanted, I've already bought.

I do a lot of PP, and I also do a lot of fussy cutting. One of the big problems is that you are working upside down with a lot of paper piecing and a light table is great for that. If you fabric is upside right, the pattern is upside down, and vice versa. Many times I've traced the pattern to the back side so I can see how it lines up with the right side of the fabric.

For those not familiar with PP, you don't actually cut the paper. So with this, you can put the pattern down under the translucent mat (face down), and then the fabric on top face up, and cut.

Last edited by Macybaby; 04-06-2022 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:09 AM

BTW - you can buy the translucent cutting mat separately, if you already have a light table.

I have a glass top drafting table, and I put a light underneath it to use as a very large light table. But it's height is only for sitting at which is great for drawing/tracing, but horrid for cutting. With the cutterpillar light table, I can put in on my cutting table and that is much better for me.

Old 04-06-2022, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The show special was 10% off as tax was 10% in Branson and I got the two free ruler accessories with it. I paid $118. A lot less then a meal out with the family. We can stay home and eat sandwiches one time. LOL
That was a good buy. Was it the basic or pro series? What are the 2 ruler accessories. I haven't seen them. I have the glass that you can iron on and that works great for applique as you can see where to line things up, then press it down. You will enjoy using it. I need to purchases the mat without lines as sometimes I don't need the lines.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
At the AQS show in Branson this last week I watched the demo on the Cutterpiller Glow mat. I have seen them before but never thought I would use it much for tracing etc. Well then it was said it's great for paper piecing. Put the fabric over the pattern and cut the size you need, no guessing and no extra wasted fabric and pattern is not cut and a big time saver. A another quilter watching said that's why she bought one, it cut her paper piecing time in half. I bought one right then. I paper pieced a block this morning using it and it is a game changer for me. If anyone has one and don't use it much and likes to paper piece try it out.
Thanks for posting this. I already have a lightpad that I really like, so I will order the translucent cutting mat. What is the glass overlay used for? I must be missing something. Thx again.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

The accessories I got are the lighted ruler handle and the small ruler handle. I love the lighted one. It has a bright LED light. I never knew I needed one, I use it by my machine instead of the lamp it is that good. I guess mine is the basic, I didn't get the biggest one because I only wanted mostly for paper piecing. I did get the no line mat. I have been using it for trimming up blocks this week and I can see if the ruler is dead on before I cut. Every seam in the block show up under the ruler. It was an impulse buy and now becoming very useful. It hasn't left my cutting table since I put it there.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Grey Lady View Post
Thanks for posting this. I already have a lightpad that I really like, so I will order the translucent cutting mat. What is the glass overlay used for? I must be missing something. Thx again.
The glass is some kind of temper glass and you can press on it. So, I lay my applique pattern between the light box and glass, then I can press my pieces in place before going to the sewing machine and sewing them. You don't want to leave an iron setting on top of it as it may get too hot, but it works for pressing.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

Be sure you light pad can handle the pressure of the rotary cutter. My friend said she didn't need to buy the light pad, she had one. After a few cuts her light pad top cracked. The no grid mat covers the whole pad, the gridded one only covers the lighted area. Makes sense, can't see the grid off the lighted part.
Old 04-09-2022, 04:49 AM

Headed to my favorite LQS to work on a paper piecing project of sunflowers. The leaders of the project will put them together with blue backing, sell raffle tickets and donate all of the donations to UNECEF-Ukrain children's fund.