Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you need a quarter-yard... exactly a quarter-yard... >

If you need a quarter-yard... exactly a quarter-yard...

If you need a quarter-yard... exactly a quarter-yard...

Old 08-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Loretta
If I owned a quilt shop, and was cutting fabric, I would measure 1 extra inch on every cut automatically. When the customer sees that, it gives a good impression as opposed to watching a clerk measure "on the line" over and over. Just my thought on cutting for the public. Its the best advertisement yet for a shop.
I like the way you think, Loretta. It makes a quilter nervous to see ppl, trying to stay right on the line. Many times, the cutter doesn't sew or quilt, and that extra inch can mean a lot for a quilter. I don't like walking tightropes...eeek! :wink:
Old 08-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by Loretta
If I owned a quilt shop, and was cutting fabric, I would measure 1 extra inch on every cut automatically. When the customer sees that, it gives a good impression as opposed to watching a clerk measure "on the line" over and over. Just my thought on cutting for the public. Its the best advertisement yet for a shop.
I agree up to a point - but should there be an extra inch if someone is only buying 1/8 of a yard, and only ONE extra inch if someone is buying 10 yards?
You make a very good point, big, and here is why I say that: I try to watch my fabrics when being cut, to catch any flaws, but sometimes you do get distracted. I think a percentage, depending on the total purchase makes a lot of sense. Maybe an extra inch up to 1/2 yard, then add another 1/4" - 1/2" per each yard? let's see, for 10 yards, that would be an extra 3 1/4"? that's not a lot extra, when your getting a sale of 10 yards.
10 yds. + 1" + [ 9 x 1/4" = 2 1/4"] = 3 1/4" extra. sounds fair.
10 yds. + 1" + [9 x 1/2" = 4 1/2"] = 15 1/2" more.
hmm, sounds good, but they ain't gonna go that far.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

hmmm, when I posted my answer, I didn't realize you were a shop owner, I think what your doing is just fine. I would be very pleased.:D
Old 08-14-2009, 05:50 PM

OOOOHH, all of this back and forth about preciseness is making my brain itch. I know I am probably over-doing it, but I always buy too much. Rarely do I buy 1/2 yard of fabric. Actually I can only remember ONCE buying half-yard pieces for the first grand daughter's graduation quilt. I shopped around for lots of pinks in many values and tones. Other than that it's always been at least a yard. Usually 2 or 3 yards.

And as for the fabric being off grain, I suppose I've not reached that height of professionalism yet. I'm too old to worry about if my pieces are a little off grain. And that is why some of your quilts are so gorgeous and mine are so-so.
When I made garments (and taught garment construction), being on -grain was of utmost importance. When I quilt, it's for relaxation. I'm not going to stress myself out if things are a little wonky. I hope I'm not cast out of the "club" because of my confession. :lol:
Old 08-15-2009, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by GailG
And as for the fabric being off grain, I suppose I've not reached that height of professionalism yet. I'm too old to worry about if my pieces are a little off grain. And that is why some of your quilts are so gorgeous and mine are so-so.
When I made garments (and taught garment construction), being on -grain was of utmost importance. When I quilt, it's for relaxation. I'm not going to stress myself out if things are a little wonky. I hope I'm not cast out of the "club" because of my confession. :lol:
I always buy an extra 1/4 yard of each fabric or a few extra quarters if it a kit. As a newbie, everything I cut and sew is usually off just a little, just like me :D and like you, I don't worry about it because this is for my enjoyment. I am also pretty sure we won't be cast out.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:30 AM

i don't worry about off true. i believe it will stay that way and not drag anything along. anyway, by the time it's quilted, it would have to be superman to move through those stitches. i've never had a problem.

but i still buy extra, just because.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

I do wash and dry my fabrics before cutting them.

After washing the fabric, the way the grain is, is the way the grain is.

I don't try to fight with it or "straighten" it at that point. (I've tried a few times.) The fabric just goes back to the way it wants to be.

Maybe back in the "olden days" - we all agree that was in the 1800's, right? -
that "straightening" was worth the effort.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:28 AM
alimaui

I just left my LQS, and they threw in an extra 1/4 yard, because it was the last on the bolt. On my second cut, they gave me the last half yard at 40% off, also the end of the bolt . While I agree, that neither was necessary, I will definately keep going back because it was a great gesture!

Old 08-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

I've had that happen to, and it is such a nice gesture!

I've also been to stores (especially some of the chain stores) where if I don't pay for the last one inch left over from what I wanted, the clerk will cut it off
(or have to charge for it)

Now, that does NOT create good will.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I do wash and dry my fabrics before cutting them.

After washing the fabric, the way the grain is, is the way the grain is.

I don't try to fight with it or "straighten" it at that point. (I've tried a few times.) The fabric just goes back to the way it wants to be.

Maybe back in the "olden days" - we all agree that was in the 1800's, right? -
that "straightening" was worth the effort.
what she said :roll: :roll: . when fabric was woven here it was rolled and steamed truer. now.... it is what it is. and...

bearisgray - you must be talking about joann's, right? they do that all the time. if you don't pay for it, they will cut off a sliver or say they can't sell it and leave so little. you have to take the whole piece or none. :evil: