Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: If you are not selling your quilts, what do you do with all your quilts that you hav?

Blog Entries
    craigs list is free try that. I have used it from time to time to sell things like yarn, sewing table and a few other things can't remember right off hand. It is free so it won't hurt to try it.

Just start small and see how you go. Here we can put sale notices on a board at shopping centres, supermarkets and our library. Maybe just print out a couple of ads for one quilt and see if you are successful/comfortable with marketing them. If not as others have suggested there are many charities/worthy causes that could use them.

Blog Entries
    I donate to the neonatal unit at the hospital . They love quilts either under or over the incubators to brighten a very sterile world . In some cases the quilts go home some are washed my local hospital likes them closely quilted so they will wash and not puff up. I also knit for them. In some areas hospital worlds for children will take quilts. I enjoy giving here as they brighten up the children's area,. Ditto to all the above. I also enjoy finding new techniques and notions to have a go at.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by joym View Post
    I am a fabric horder. I love fabric. And I love, love, love to make quilts. I am from a very small family and they all have quilts. I have donated many, many ,many quilts and knitted/crochet blankets. I have a small house and hard to find a place to display so many. I would really like to sell them as I could use the money....but not tech savvy. I could even barter. Anyone in the same predicament as me? Any suggestions or comments will be welcomed. HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.
    perhaps you could place your quilts on consignment. your lqs or someone might have an idea of where.

Do you have a gift shop in your area that might take your quilts on consignment? That way word will get out about your talents, you might sell your quilts, make a few dollars AND make room for more quilts in your home. I have a cousin who owns a gift shop and she's always looking for new items to sell. There is also a small gift shop a half mile from me...I stopped in to chat with the owner. She asked if I would do up some lap quilts and consign with her. I think this is a win/win situation! Good luck!

I make quilts for family and myself mostly. It is so hard to sell quilts and get the proper amount of money for all the time and effort. I have really never tried to sell anything.

I make quilts ranging from table runners/small wall hangings all the way to queen size coverlet/large wall hangings for my family. My two children, their spouses and grandson all appreciate what I make for them. Every other year I ask what they would like me to make for them for next Christmas and I get started in January. During the alternate years, I make whatever I want for them. I am blessed my family loves and appreciates what I make for them. I also participate in my guild's charity projects, and I make Quilts of Valor whenever I can. At one time I thought it would be hard to give away quilts I've made, but it is not difficult at all! Then I make quilts and wall hangings for our home...so many ideas. Guess the secret is to make a quilt for a specific purpose, smile.

I think that quilting can become an addiction. I certainly have more fabric than I will probably ever make into something. I make about 20 Linus quilts a month which gives me a good excuse to keep buying childish prints etc. Then I need flannel for the backs and of course batting by the roll. I have at least a dozen finished bed size quilts tucked away or on my bed. The room where I store most of my stash also contains our oil tank. Must husband told me not to purchase any more fabric for a while so that if the tank should spring a leak and have to be replaced it would be possible to do so. I guess I had better get busy making some more Linus quilts and stay away from the fabric store for a while. Those Joann coupons in my wallet will just have to go to waste.

I believe you pay a percentage fee when you sell an item.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    My understanding (although I haven't tried it myself) is that Etsy listings are free.

With most of my quilts, they were made because "they called to me." All of my friends and family have quilts. So, I donate liberally. There is an adage--one who sleeps under a quilt is comforted by love." I figure that I am contributing to the world in my own, small way. I was raised to give back in order to show appreciation for what I have. And, the truth is, I'd rather give away my work to someone who needs the love than be reimbursed for the fabric and not get the full values. That's just me, of course--

Blog Entries
    I have several quilts that have ended up being just for me, because I liked them so much, I couldn't get rid of them. So I have them on the "Princes and the Pea" bed in the spare room. Periodically I rotate them so there is a different one on top. I love to just go in and look at them. But nearly all of my quilts are made with charity in mind. I try to keep a stash of quilts handy for emergencies. Nothing makes me feel better than knowing that I am comforting someone in need.

With roughloyt 60 members in our extended family there is no problem. By the time you get around once it's time for another round.

If you are becoming a quilt hoarder and each quilt you make just gets added to your hoard, try making them slower by making each one from a more complicated pattern. Not only will you grow in your ability as a quilter, your quilts should become more beautiful and intricate. Perhaps with time you will be willing to part with the older, simplier quilts and keep the more complicated patterns. At any rate, you won't be making them as fast and your hoard won't grow as rapidly. Or make a rule that you'll only make one quilt per pattern. One DP9, one Yellow Brick Road, etc. Make it your goal to grow as a quilter while you are enjoying a new aspect of quilting.

I donate my quilts to the Salt River Indian Reservation.

I quilt harder patterns and samplers so I don't have a big build up of quilts. I have only made 14 in my three and a half years of retirement. These have all been used in my home and as gifts. I also make bed size quilts (unless for a baby) so I don't have a lot of build up. I guess it may come to that at some point, but I can't see it happening in the near future! Guess I'm lucky in that regard

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    My understanding (although I haven't tried it myself) is that Etsy listings are free.
    No, they are not free. It costs 20 cents per item to list items for about 3 months. Then you have to renew and pay again. If something sells, you pay a small percentage to Etsy (5%?) plus Paypal gets their cut. Not free, but reasonable.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Each quilt I've made has been given away... save one (it's on the bed in the spare room).
    Thought of trying to sell one... then thought better of it. Figured I'd get my feelings hurt when no one wanted to pay what's it's worth just in materials... not counting my time. I get more joy from giving them away.

Hospice, hospitals, nursing homes, Quilts of Valor, VA nursing homes are all wonderful places that need and appreciate your efforts. You could also check with your local Meals on Wheels for a needy family. A while back there was a thread about funeral homes using a quilt over the body bag to soften the blow of seeing a loved one transported. A person could also make quilts to use for "adopt a child/family" at Christmas.

Whatever you decide to do with your excess quilts, I hope it brings you joy!

Being a cancer survivor I have made many quilts for my family. They love them because they now realize I won't always be here. I have a quilt to make for my grandson and everyone will have a quilt that I have made. But for my nieces and nephews I am making table runners with matching place mats, which are quilted. I am also working on Christmas tree skirts. I love my family very much and want to leave something for each one to remember me. All three of my sisters are quilters too. So all the kids and grandchildren understand the sweat and tears that go into each item made. So be generous with your art and think of the warmth and love you are giving the individual who receives the item you took the time to make. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and will have a safe and Happy New Year!
    Quilting Mad in Mansfield, Ohio
    Patty

please consider the chemotherapy cancer center at your local hospital. I found that mine is desperate for anything washable to warm the patient. the chemo is kept refridgerated and chills the patient severely. Most loose wieght in a hurry during treatment and stay cold a lot anyway. they warm the quilt in dryer and wrap the patient to warm her. or him.
    don't stop!just keep trying and something usable will turn out!!

Blog Entries
    It gives me a great feeling to donate quilts to our Community Quilts. They are given to the Cancer Center, children's homes, families in need, nursing homes; lots more I can't think of right now.
    If you don't have a quilt guild, the Salvation Army can always use quilts in their efforts, even go directly to nursing homes, and offer to give them a quilt or 2.
    Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

My hubby always says "so who is that quilt for" or "what is that project for". He just doesn't get it, I'm doing projects just to see if I can, or how it will look, or just because I feel like it, the fabric inspired me, etc., etc., etc !! LOL!!

I make them to give away. Even the ones I make because I like the pattern or want to try something, end up in a somewhere else. I really need to work on one for my dtr...she's been very patient with me! LOL But first I'll be making a comfort quilt for my niece who's facing brain cancer chemo and radiation. That's my next project. I've been trying to decide on a pattern...nothing too complicated, I want to get it done and off to her asap.
    Take time to recharge your batteries. Itís hard to see where youíre going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

Power Poster
    I make quilts for my daughter and grand-childern and for very close friends.....

I would try Craigslist first, only need a picture. Then you could try Ebay or Etsy, the fees sometimes are terrible. If you want to give any away, consider the veterans. Our quilt guild took some quilts to the veterans home and one of the men grabbed the last one which was all done in pink. He said he didn't care at all, he was just so grateful for a quilt.

I like to do patterns and techniques that are new to me; I want to feel like I learned (or perfected) something with each quilt. I can do fast, easy ones for charity, but really prefer something more difficult or new.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast