Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you slice your finger... >

If you slice your finger...

If you slice your finger...

Old 11-19-2008, 08:02 PM

Just press hard and keep your fingers away from the blade...
OUCH!!!
Still wearing a bandaid and it looks like its going to be a big scar...
K
Old 11-19-2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pamelajo
Wasn't really searching for this subject but......with this band-aid on my finger I thought I better check it out. I was using the rotary cutter for the first time tonight and did not realize the sharpness of it. On the subject, is there any easy way to cut these squares? I just bought a 'Get Squared' ruler with the 4 1/2 in center square and the teardrop corners and it works really well but it seems to slip on the fabric and I can't quite get a good position with my hands. Any tips for a newbee?

Thanks,
Pam :roll:
Put a wet peice of papertowel down on the backside of the square. This helps it keep it's grip and it's easy to peel off, and doesn't leave stuff behind.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Well, thought of this thread last night as I was sewing away doing my applique and noticed all these little dots on my fabric....yup, its blood and I didn't even know I'd stuck myself. Now, how do I get that out? Tide stick? :roll:
Old 11-20-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
You can buy clear plastic gripper film that works really well. Someone here also mentioned small pieces of sandpaper to stick to the bottom of your ruler. but I haven't seen it.
Loretta, wish I'd known about this a while ago. I managed to cut my finger pretty good not too long ago and mom sent me a little goodie to help prevent it...when you're using those really tiny squares to cut it's easy to become a casualty of rotary-----use the "Little Gripper" and you'll keep your precious fingers out of harms way. It actually raises your hand a good inch or so off the acrylic. LOVE IT.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Well, thought of this thread last night as I was sewing away doing my applique and noticed all these little dots on my fabric....yup, its blood and I didn't even know I'd stuck myself. Now, how do I get that out? Tide stick? :roll:
I keep a travel pack of Huggies wipes in my sewing room for tiny specs of blood. If it doesn't come out, I use cold water and if necessary soap but prefer the huggies wipes so I can get right back to work. If it's already dried, I'd use the Tide stick...make sure it's tide because the clorox one contains bleach and will lighten your material in most cases (wish I didn't know that).
Old 11-20-2008, 04:06 PM

You probably won't get staph or MERSA unless you go to the doctor's office or hospital. :?
Old 11-20-2008, 04:08 PM

If it's your blood, your spit will take it out...Really!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 04:14 PM

Heal quickly. I put sand paper on my big ruler - works okay. But I did buy one of those big hand gripper thingys and love it - holds the ruler steady and hand not near the cutter.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
If it's your blood, your spit will take it out...Really!!!
Guess I'll try that..since its readily available :lol: , then the Tide stick.
Thanks!