Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you were going to invest in a higher-end machine ... >

If you were going to invest in a higher-end machine ...

If you were going to invest in a higher-end machine ...

Old 04-29-2009, 05:23 AM

I have not had good luck with Sears standing behind their products after the first few years of purchase. Consumer Reports has recommendee their grills and a few other things. Check with Consumer REports. Although we all look for a machine that will last forever, it seems manufacturers have gotten into the throw away mode. So do your homework.
Some sewing machine companies will give you discounts on trade ins. Check that out too, incase you see a better machine in their line.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by marla
I have not had good luck with Sears standing behind their products after the first few years of purchase. Consumer Reports has recommendee their grills and a few other things. Check with Consumer REports. Although we all look for a machine that will last forever, it seems manufacturers have gotten into the throw away mode. So do your homework.
Some sewing machine companies will give you discounts on trade ins. Check that out too, incase you see a better machine in their line.
I'm a regular reader of the Consumerist blog, and it seems like a LOT of folks have issues with Sears lately.

The local sewing-machine dealer I went to the other day to look at the 6600 offers a full-value trade-in if you upgrade within 1 year (or maybe 2 -- I can't remember). Seems like a good deal, but I can't imagine me buying a pricier machine that soon!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:38 AM

I have a Pfaff. LOVE IT!! It's an incredible machine and a work horse. Love the integrated dual feed, and use it for everything, including piecing.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:40 AM

I have a Pfaff 7570 machine that I love. But, I'm ready for some bells and whistles it doesn't have. Longer harp, thread cutter, knee lift, programable knee lift, pivot feature,etc. I have decided on the Babylock Espire. It has everything I want in a machine, less the IDF that the Pfaff has. Hopefully it will be in the budget sometime this year.

Melinda in Tulsa
Old 04-29-2009, 05:56 PM

I just bought the Janome 6600 and even though I haven't used all the features yet, I think it was a great purchase. I had a chance to sew on the Janome 6600 and the Pfaff (can't remember the model but it was the model in the same price range) side by side and I felt that the Janome was much smoother than the Pfaff. The only thing I really wanted from the Pfaff was the integrated feed and the Janome added it to the 6600 so that's all I needed to make my decision.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:29 PM

I am a died in the wool Viking owner--multiple times. And I thought my sister was too, until she had to replace her machine. She then bought a Kenmore high-end machine because of price. She swears by it! Wouldn't trade it for any machine. WOW! Who woulda thought!
Old 04-30-2009, 03:35 PM

Consumer Reports magazine (March, 2009) rated sewing machines - and for embroidery/sewing - they recommended:

Bernina - Activa 230 PE
Janome Memory Craft 6600P
Janome 6260 QC
Bernina Aurora 4400QE

and mentioned Pfaff - Select 3.0 as good for intermediate sewing.

You should read the article on how they tested the machines - it was interesting to me. You should "test drive" the machines, if at all possible and see what is the best fit for you. Good luck!
Karen/KY
Old 05-11-2009, 04:40 PM

Test drive both machines and pick the one that suits you best.

I know that I would go with the Janome even tho I have never owned one, but have friends that do and speak very highly of them. That will be the next machine I buy.

Second, local service and support is important. If you buy from a local dealer, you can get classes and all the information and help you need as a rule. However buying from ebay or other mail order dealer, local shops DO NOT have to service that machine and usually won't.

I moved from my home state a few years ago for a while and the local Bernina dealer there refused to service my machine because it wasn't purchased from them. So had to wait until I moved back home to have it serviced. Just did my home maintenance myself. To me this is a big consideration in purchasing new machines.

Good Luck in your new purchase.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:10 PM

Give Vikigs a lok see, you will love them too.
Connie
Old 12-07-2009, 03:42 AM

I don't know anything about the pfaff..but i have the 6600P, and i love her..i would not trade or sell her ever.
even if i won a top end bernina or pfaff,i would still stick with the 6600. go and join a message board that deals with each machine, and see what people think of thier machines.
ther is a message board i belong to :
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Janome6500/

i am sure the other machine has a board aslo..