Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm beginning to think this is too busy..and how would you quilt it? >

I'm beginning to think this is too busy..and how would you quilt it?

I'm beginning to think this is too busy..and how would you quilt it?

Old 11-04-2014, 05:55 AM

I agree with all the others I think you could either add a White on White Sashing between the blocks or just by adding borders but I really like the Blocks I think you just need a little separation. Love the pink!!
Old 11-04-2014, 07:03 AM

I like your quilt, I would add a white border to calm it down. I think it will be fantastic when finished.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:13 AM

When you use two colors in Hunter's Star the quilting becomes even more critical as the stars tend to fade into the more dominant color. If you are going to have this done on a long arm machine, I found a pattern that emphasizes the points of the star and while it did not quite outline the points it did have a pointed geometry and helped defined the unit as an eight pointed star. Because I used three colors I did another geometric shape to fill the star's indentations and then third more dense design to fill the large triangles that formed the large squared background. However, in this case I would choose a rather bland and somewhat densely packed design for the entire background and that should help make the stars "pop" even more. The last thing I might suggest in using a puffy batting. The loft of the batting made the stars even more prominent.

This is not an easy pattern to sew and it looks as though you did a great job in the piecing, so take your time deciding on how to quilt it. What you and others feel is too busy now, can be tastefully "tamed" with the right quilting and ultimately a joy to own.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

I'm working on one with Duck Dynasty fabrics like the real tree and mossy oak prints. I agree with nygal. You could also break it up a little by using white sashing around the squares. I think it's really pretty though!
Old 11-04-2014, 07:35 AM

Meandering would be my choice.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:42 AM

I, also, would do a white border, but the fabric should have just a little pink in it.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:02 AM

Basketman mentioned "If you are going to have this done on a long arm machine, I found a pattern that emphasizes the points of the star and while it did not quite outline the points it did have a pointed geometry and helped defined the unit as an eight pointed star."

Can you tell or show me what you found?

Last edited by bigredharley; 11-04-2014 at 08:12 AM. Reason: didn't quote correctly
Old 11-04-2014, 08:22 AM
KLO

You did do a great job on the piecing and I am guessing you like pink since I see pink shoes in the photos!!! The fabric is really beautiful! So, a white or off white border would be great as others have mentioned .... maybe even two white borders with the outer one being wider and a thin pink strip between the two? I was thinking you could do curved quilting from the outside point of the star arching slightly outward and coming back in to the side points where the each diamond meets up with the neighbor diamond. So you would have 16 "arches" going around each star with hopes that that would set them off and making a sort of flower pattern. Then quilt all the areas outside the star with a denser pattern to make the star stand out some. I am hoping this makes some sense but maybe not. Some quilters use a plexi-glass sheet to lay over there blocks and then draw designs on the plexi to sort of audition a quilt pattern. Use a wipe off marker and you can test out different designs. Good luck. I am sure that you will find a solution that will make this a beautiful quilt!
Old 11-04-2014, 08:32 AM

What Jan said. The star gets lost without more contrast between it and the background. You need a third color and white would be great. Your fabrics are lovely!
Old 11-04-2014, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
this was my thought, too. to help the star pattern show up, i would med to densely quilt the background of the block with a pink thread. i think that would make the star pop.
I agree with QuiltnNan. She has a great idea here; quilting the background of the block. (Leave the stars unquilted.)