Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm Burned Out.... >

I'm Burned Out....

I'm Burned Out....

Old 12-09-2010, 06:51 AM

Take a walk thru a sewing store and just enjoy all the lovely materials...I would bet a nickle that before you leave the store you've got the itch to stitch.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:53 AM

I think everyone needs a break on occasion.

When it's been a particularly long time I might pull out an unfinished project and work a little bit on that. It's usually enough to get me thinking about sewing something else . Not sure what it is but I have a few unfinished projects that always inspire me to want to work on another quilt ....:)
Old 12-09-2010, 07:34 AM

I got my quilts sewed for my family early this year and they are wrapped up and ready to go under the tree. I did a mistake of taking on some extra sewing as my neighbor wanted me to sew some quilted pillow tops with a crocheted doilies on the back side. I got the pillowtops done but for crocheting I am not with it at all. Then my cousin called me and wants me to sew a queen size quilt and the pattern she wants is a complicated pattern and she told me the colors of fabric I should buy for it and wanted it hand quilted and said she would give me $150.00 for the quilt!!!! I got so mad that the steam was coming out my ears and I told her the quilt will cost her $600.00 and she will get it some time next year. She hung up on me and called back later with a better attitude and she stopped buy with the $600.00 in cash. I am so(sew) burnt out I am not going to take on anything more till after the New Year.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:43 AM

I too get that way. I clean my sewing room and do those little things like change needle, clean lint from machine, a quick mending job or what ever. Then we I get the urge to start again I have a nice clean workspace.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:44 AM

Yes, every time I come back from a quilt retreat I am so exhausted I don't sew for a week.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:08 AM

Same for me, I have felt totally wrung out this year. So, I have picked out a YoYoville quilt to make. Started it in March and still working on the little things. I take it everywhere with me. When I get tired, I put it down then pick back up in day or two. One at a time and by the time I get all of them made, I will be able to piece the top. Take it slow, make a small "instant gratification piece", last but not least, dont be hard on yourself. Scan the patterns and magazines and something will jump rite off the page at you! I promise! Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:08 AM

Same for me, I have felt totally wrung out this year. So, I have picked out a YoYoville quilt to make. Started it in March and still working on the little things. I take it everywhere with me. When I get tired, I put it down then pick back up in day or two. One at a time and by the time I get all of them made, I will be able to piece the top. Take it slow, make a small "instant gratification piece", last but not least, dont be hard on yourself. Scan the patterns and magazines and something will jump rite off the page at you! I promise! Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Old 12-09-2010, 08:30 AM
nab

I'm sure that we have all been where you are at some time during our quilting days. Last spring I was there. I did not even want to talk about quilting. Somewhere along the line a pattern hit me just right and I'm back at it again. I have also been doing some knitting. It got me through the non-quilting time. Now I knit when I cannot quilt. I have learned to knit socks and mittens with the magic loop method. Maybe if you have an alternate craft such as knitting it may get those creative juices running again. Hang in there. You will get back at it again.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:45 AM

Such good advice from everyone!

Yes, I've been through it- especially when stress hits; time to sit back, leaf through those quilting mags you haven't had the chance to look at yet and enjoy the Christmas holidays!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:13 AM

Make a small doll quilt that is easy and should spark your interest again.