Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm eating humble pie Ladies

Blog Entries

I'm eating humble pie Ladies

A short while ago I bemoaned the choices my future neice-in-law had made for her wedding quilt. She'd seen a very simple patchwork item in Pottery Barn and asked for something similar. I should have listened.
    I spent untold hours searching for similar fabric but could not resign myself to a simple 12 inch patchwork item. I spend hours on my EQ designing blocks and moving them around and you know what?????
    I choose the simple plain block. And it looks better than I had imagined. Sometime we get caught up in the perfect design, each one has to be better than the last, forgetting to listen to the person for whom the quilt is intended.
    The pictures are of the top only. NOW I can stew about the quilting motifs!! I have a whole month yet. Lots of time to fret.
    MaryKatherine
    Attached Images Attached Images

marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

I love this!! So bright and cheerful..Sometimes simplicity helps bring out the beauty!!

She should be very happy with that one. It is very pretty.

Bright, beautiful qult top! She should love it! Have fun quilting it!

You nailed it exactly. If she likes the simple Pottery Barn ones...she will love this one. Great fabric selections.
    Audrey

Yep, that is the new style that is all the rage..... Good luck on the quilting!

I love the colors!

fOMG! I'm in love with that quilt! That fabric is too beautiful! And I like the big "simple" blocks. You made this pattern up? You should do a tutorial on it (cuz I need to make about a gazillion quilts & this one would sure be a good one for a slug of them!). Y'know, just a simple set of directions... size of squares, how much fabric, etc. Please post again after you get it quilted.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Really pretty!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    oh yes, i've seen some very simple blocks done and the quilt looks great. that will turn out lovely!!

A very cozy welcoming quilt!
    Arlene

I remember your original posting - you made good fabric choices!
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    I remember your earlier post and you did a grand job doing a similar style and it is going to be a winner!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I really like that, it just looks so welcoming.
    Lord, please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

HAHAHA Sounds like me. I spent so much time trying to convince my niece that she didn't want a simple block. Then we were walking through a craft mall and she almost screamed "LOOK! THAT IS WHAT I WANT! just a different color. Just a big block patchwork. Kind of like yours . I shrugged my shoulders and made it. Took longer to cut it then sew it. But Hey she LOVES is. When she went to college she took it with her. Flat refused to leave it behind. Made me feel so good :-)

Wow I adore that the colors are perfect please tell use what size of blocks you used?
    May you always have Love to Share , Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!

I like it!

Very pretty and if she likes it, thats all that counts.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Pretty quilt! I used to aspire to doing really intricate quilts, but then reality hit. They're a lot of work and have to be 'just right' to look good.

My motto is now "Simple quilts actually get finished." Put another way, the simple quilts I start don't wind up as UFOs in my closet.

Blog Entries
    It is lovely. Sometimes we just want to complicate things!
    Quilting in the Desert

My sister asked me to make the exact same quilt, only with less red and more earth tones. I tried to talk her out of it because it would be so boring to make. She was adamant, as only my sister could be. So I gave her what she wanted. Put all the fabric out together, in a basic pattern I planned, photographed it, and sent it to her for final approval of colors. She nixed one color, loved the rest, and sent me a photo of what she'd like as a replacement. It was pretty plain, and not hard to find. Those big, 12" squares weren't hard to cut, or sew. I quilted in 4 sections, then put to together, which made it easier. I made the edging all around 6" X 12" squares, just to break up to monotony for me. I played forever with the placement of the colors, because to me it was the only interesting thing to do. I quilted one square in rows, and the next in cross hatch, alternating, so the same type of quilting was never next to each other. The simpler quilting seemed to go with the simpler pattern. And guess what. She loves it! More than that, she adores it, and I've never done anything nicer for her in her whole life! To say she's thrilled to bits would be a gross understatement. So I learned something here, something very important. Instead of trying to push my tastes on what I think is a beautiful quilt on her, I listened to her and gave her what she wanted. And she loves it. I'll bet if I'd given her the quilt I wanted to make, it'd be sitting on a shelf somewhere, unused, and it would have taken me far more time and energy. I guess my best friend is right. I have a - ahem - "agressive" personality that can roll over other people if I'm not careful. I shall endeavor to be more careful. One quilt has vastly improved my relationship with my sister, and I'd like that kind of thing to keep happening!
    MacThayer

Blog Entries
    I love your quilt. Love the colors. I have been having fun with the jelly roll quilts, because they go fast, and are a surprise when done. But I also like a challenge here and there. And when friends and relatives come over, and I show them some quilts I have made lately, they always just love those jelly roll quilts. they like the simplicity of them. So, I am trying to be a better listener. Make what people love, and not worry about being challenged.

Blog Entries
    I love simple quilts. Yours turned out great. Love red fabrics. Beautiful!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    Wow I adore that the colors are perfect please tell use what size of blocks you used?
    It's a 12" block so the quilt will finish king size at 96 "
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

I think it's beautiful! I would like to know where you got the fabrics, especially the blue backround ones..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast