Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm freezing, he's sweating.

Since I'm always cold and DH is always hot, I always need an extra blanket or two than him at night. It's slightly awkward at night, and is a pain when it comes to bed-making. I was wondering, has anyone ever made a queen or king size quilt with thicker batting on one side than the other? I suppose that if it's quilted properly it could work, but often things done in practice are much different than the work done in my mind. I'm interested in hearing the results of anyone who's tried this.

In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they aren't.

Try getting a heated mattress pad. You can have yours set at a different setting than his.

Works well for us :)

I had the same problem for years. I just added an extra single blanket between the sheet and top cover. Now that we are older the hot/cold thing has switched!

Not sure if a thicker or different type of batt would work. Maybe 2 layers on one side instead of 1 (like Warm & Natural), or wool on one side and cotton or poly on the other.

Blog Entries
    A mattress warmer on my half of the bed keeps us both comfortable. I usually turn it off after my side of the bed is warm. Heat coming up from the mattress is better (in my opinion, anyway) than electric blanket heat coming from above.

I think it would be difficult to make a quilt that has double batting on one side look right.

I just have a little throw I use over me, and fold up on the bottom of the bed in the daytime.

It's the opposite with DH and myself. He is always cold and I am always sweating. He just uses and extra quilt on his side, then I fold it at the end of the bed during the day.

that sounds like a great solution we do the heated matress pad separate controls and the extra smaller quilt under the top quilt

I either use the electric blanket set on my side at a higher setting, or I toss another blanket on my side. I don't think it would look right. To me it would look lopsided. JMHO

make a "bed topper" those narrow quilts that just go accross the end of the bed--put on your side at night. even if you made a quilt like you're thinking--I doubt you would LIKE how the bed looked made. If you got into different batts, you might even have a bad problem on how it looked after the shrank atdifferent %'s!

That will change in your later years LOL

I used to sleep in a lightweight sleeping bag that I rolled and left at the head of the bed during the day. Maybe that's a better solution for you?

Now I just wear a lot of clothes to bed.

Not exactly sexy, but functional, and a lot less off-putting than my icy feet on his legs :)

Blog Entries
    My late DH was a Boy Scout Master, and had one little boy about 12 who told me that he had arthritis so bad he didn't sleep well, but found that the even warmth of a down sleeping bag let him rest better at night. This was even better than a down comforter he told me. His parents had tried everything but since using his Scout sleeping bag, his nights were more restful.
    I think he had to roll it up and keep it in a closet during the day.

We just use different quilts to cover each other at night. His is light and mine is heavier. Most times he uses nothing. Your need may change later on. He used to be always cold and me hot, and now is the other way around.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwork42029
    Try getting a heated mattress pad. You can have yours set at a different setting than his.

Works well for us :)
    This also works for us. I leave my side on for a little while, but my husband usually turns if off after the bed is warm. I sometimes put an extra throw just on my side of the bed. We normally use a down comforter 12 month of the year.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Since my lapband surgery and losing half my body weight, I am always cold,,,I have a large heating pad under the sheet and a twin elec blanket on top....DH is like an oven....

Blog Entries
    We used to be the same when we first got married. I solved it by laying all the blankets on top of one another, and hand stitched a line down the middle from top to bottom. Then I folded some of the 'pages' from on side to the other. Hey Presto, I had more layers and he had fewer.

Blog Entries
    I have a heated mattress with duel controls and it's great. I usually turn it on 1/2 hour before going to bed and then turn it off after getting in. Sounds like that would be a solution for hyou

Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    We used to be the same when we first got married. I solved it by laying all the blankets on top of one another, and hand stitched a line down the middle from top to bottom. Then I folded some of the 'pages' from on side to the other. Hey Presto, I had more layers and he had fewer.
    Very interesting...

I have the opposite problem with me being the hot one. I made my husband a bed runner to go over his feet. If your feet are warm then so are you.

Blog Entries
    We had the same problem but menopause took care of it. Now HE is looking for extra coverage because I have my head in the freezer and all doors and windows open. lol

I know that does not answer your question. You could try that- butting batting pieces together can be easily done. Not sure if it would be noticeable.

Based on my initial comment - if you don't make the pattern directional, you could just flip it when menopause hits.

We simplify it at our house. 9 times out of 10 the DH is sleeping with no sheets/blankets or just the sheet only. Basically the blanket/comforter is for me because I'm always freezing. On those rare occasions he grabs the full blown blanket to get under, I just scoot over and make it an excuse to cuddle with him. He's my teddy bear :-D and my own personal heater. Seriously I don't know how his metabolism burns that brightly...

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
    - The Creative Seamstress

i lost my heater DH he was one of those that you could feel heat radiate off him in bed now it is just extra blankets

Blog Entries
    Our solution??? Different beds!!LOL

Blog Entries
    I am always warm, usually too warm, so I just sleep under the flannel sheet and maybe one thin quilt. DH has approximately 5 blankets plus a comforter so he stays warm enough. How we solved this was I just take everything off, cover-wise, except the one quilt and DH has all the extras. Darling animals usually sleep on his side for the warmth.

Blog Entries
    DH is always asleep when I go to bed so I hog or discard the covers whatever the temp I'm in. He's a sound sleeper and seldom wakes up during the night so he doesn't know if he's hot or cold.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast