Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm going to try this >

I'm going to try this

I'm going to try this

Old 08-19-2014, 06:30 PM

Red face I'm going to try this

I have a king size UFO. The tension on my machine messed up too many times. I'm going to rip it all out (someday). Gosh I think I'd rather watch grass grow. I was in the garage today and noticed the rails for the garage door. I'm thinking of hanging the quilt there using pant hangers ( 4-6) should do it. Then I can easily access both sides of the quilt. Do you think this will work or is this another what was I thinking moment.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

I prefer to pick out stitches while sitting with the quilt in my lap, watching TV. I work on one side for a while, cutting every few stitches, then go to the other side and see if the thread on that side will pull free. Sometimes if the tension is really bad it can be very easy to unsew. I don't think I would want to work on it standing up, but if that works for you then try it. I'm not sure pant hangers will support the quilt sufficiently when you're handling it, so be sure to put something clean under the area where it might fall.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:14 PM

Hey, try it. I think my arms would get tired holding them up, but maybe you will have found a perfect way for you to frog stitch.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:17 PM

If they tension was way off, it may come out easier. I've fought my machine all night!!
Old 08-19-2014, 07:35 PM

You are right, my pant hangers didn't hold it. I was reallly hoping the quilt fairies would do it. No such luck. Guess my next plan is to roll it and unpick row by row. It only took me 1 hour to unpick one row.

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I prefer to pick out stitches while sitting with the quilt in my lap, watching TV. I work on one side for a while, cutting every few stitches, then go to the other side and see if the thread on that side will pull free. Sometimes if the tension is really bad it can be very easy to unsew. I don't think I would want to work on it standing up, but if that works for you then try it. I'm not sure pant hangers will support the quilt sufficiently when you're handling it, so be sure to put something clean under the area where it might fall.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:36 AM

I agree with Dunster. That is a good TV watching project. It'll make the time fly by. Rather than doing one row at a time, I think I would do it one area at a time and then, after a little stretching, move the quilt to another area. Good luck. You can do it!
Old 08-20-2014, 02:39 AM

That is not a fun project but like the others have said, it is a good project to do while watching TV. It will go faster than you think (hopefully).
Old 08-20-2014, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

Use a mustache trimmer. It will save you tons of time.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

I like Dunster's idea. I have stood at my frame for long periods picking out stitches!
Old 08-20-2014, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

If you tension is off, your stitches should come out very easily. Just make a few clips every 10 or so on the stitches that are NOT the tight one and then just pull the tight thread. Great project for when watching TV. I always test my stitching on a little mini scrap quilt every time I change the thread or bobbin.