Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm needing help with nearly antique quilt >

I'm needing help with nearly antique quilt

I'm needing help with nearly antique quilt

Old 07-31-2016, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
so sorry to read some people chose to be hurtful. Since the questions were about finishing this beauty you did great! Do ( they) not realize there are plenty of fabrics ( reproductions) of 1800's fabrics on the market-- that doesn't mean a quilt made in the 1800's is (false) because they can find the same print now.... Brush off the hurtful replys and enjoy your wonderful quilt being finished!
ckcowl Thanks for taking the time to reply and advice of brushing off the rude email...You are absolutely right to point out that Kate's Quilt is no longer in the cedar chest it's out, living out it's life and my life as eye candy not only to the eyes but to my heart as well. BTW a little gushing here... ckcowl you are one of my favorite posters on this board
Old 07-31-2016, 03:06 PM

There is always a few that try and cause issues (they need a life)...pay no attention to those that my have PM you...for a few that mentioned it on the thread, I know that they meant no harm, just that some of the fabrics are still available. I think its wonderful that you were able to get that Flimsy out of the closet and on to the bed to enjoy its beautiful!
Old 08-03-2016, 11:15 PM

I started quilting in about 1978, but I was sewing since 1964. When it came to calicos and other small prints they always seem to be the same for years and years, especially if you shopped at Ben Franklins, TG&Y, Woolworths and Newberry's. And also, like now people had stashes. I bought (and still have) 5 yards of a rose cotton fabric when it was on sale for $.25 a yard. Every so often I find a similar print now. So just because someone bought the fabric in the 70's doesn't mean that it was a new fabric. My sister had a store near her home in Rialto CA that was a true outlet for unsold fabric. They had bolts of fabric they sold for $1.00 a yard. A lot of it was great cotton fabric and some of it could have won "the Ugliest fabric" contest. Even at $1.00 a yard it was too expensive - but people bought it for various reasons.

So I am very sorry those people found it necessary to challenge your knowledge of the quilt. There is no excuse for them.

Thank you for showing the finished product, your quilt looks fantastic and the lady that pieced it together must be thrilled too.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:51 AM

Thanks for posting the picture of your finished treasure!
As a teenager I slept under a DWR that had been gifted to my dad (or possibly traded for legal advice) at some point prior to my parents getting married in 1938.
I've been collecting fabrics to make one and have found several that could have matched that original heirloom.
I've actually purchased a couple of fabrics that were in quilts from my childhood in the 1950s.
So glad you were able to find something that fit with your lovely treasure. May you have many years of enjoyment of its beauty!