Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm new here, not new to quilting! >

I'm new here, not new to quilting!

I'm new here, not new to quilting!

Old 07-02-2023, 09:40 AM

Default I'm new here, not new to quilting!

Hi I'm new here, not sure how to ask a question!? Here goes! I want to make a string quilt using paper foundation, I'm trying to find 10" x 10" foundation papers. I tried Missouri Quilt papers and didn't like those. Can anyone tell me where to get papers. Or has anyone had success with any other type of paper. Thanks
Old 07-02-2023, 10:04 AM

Any 10" x 10" paper will work. You might be able to find cheap sketch pads at the dollar store and trace onto them.

If you do a quick google search, several places come up with 10" papers.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 07-02-2023 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-02-2023, 10:30 AM

Fat Quarter Shop has 12 inch ones. blank.
now if you mean paper piecing paper, https://loriscountrycottage.com/prod...piecing-square
Old 07-02-2023, 11:06 AM

I've used water soluable interfacing from JoAnns. This way, I can cut to any size I want, sew the strips and when washed in the machine, "Poof", it's gone. It is expensive, so I only buy when it's on sale or have a coupon. Bought several yards last year and cut them to size... haven't sewn any yet, but they are ready for when I get to that item on my bucket list..
Old 07-02-2023, 11:44 AM

I have used super thin and cheap fusible interfacing. I have also used old tissue paper patterns. I just ironed them flat and cut them into the sized squares I wanted, using an old rotary cutter blade. They tear off super easy too. Some people use old thin cotton sheets for their foundation. And if you wanted to go the tissue paper route and don't have any old clothing patterns, the dollar store has packs of tissue paper for a very low cost.
Old 07-02-2023, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

When my son was in college he worked in a bakery. That paper they use is wonderful for foundation piecing.
Old 07-02-2023, 05:38 PM

Phone books work wonderfully. I just cut the pages with a rotary cutter that has a blade in it that's become too dull for fabric. Some of my nicest quilts have been string quilts -- I think you'll like this method! And, welcome to the list!
Old 07-02-2023, 08:44 PM

Wow it has been years since I've received - or even seen - a phone book!

I made a string quilt, no papers needed. Just sew & flip. But I agree with the others, you can get paper that is 10 x 10 or larger at office or art supply stores. If you are going to sew through the paper and rip afterwards, I would recommend vellum. It gets nice and brittle after pressing with steam, and tears quite easily on the perforations.
Old 07-03-2023, 01:43 AM

I don't like the Missouri Star papers either. Not sure if they sell them for string quilts, but Fat Quarter Shop has some nice papers for other quilt blocks. I used several to make a pineapple quilt over several years.
Old 07-03-2023, 03:25 AM

I've made dozens of string quilts and have used Pattern Ease as a foundation that you leave it. Pattern Ease is a lightweight and inexpensive product used for tracing patterns on. It is similar to a non woven interfacing. My first quilt done using this is still lovely after many washings.