Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm starting to despise leftovers >

I'm starting to despise leftovers

I'm starting to despise leftovers

Old 04-15-2016, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

Large pieces can be pieced to make creative backings. Can't help you with the scraps as I LOVE my scraps. Got them sorted a few different ways.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:53 PM

Scraps that are fairly small are great stuffed in a pillowcase or large piece of material sew up and given to a kennel..Batting pieces work well, too...larger scraps are always appreciated by a group that makes quilts for charity.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by my-ty View Post
What about sewing the leftovers into a long panel of strips and putting it on the back of the quilt. Less backing required and fewer scraps... another win-win.
I really like that idea.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the site, I printed it out because I am in the process of cutting scraps.
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Quilting is supposed to be fun! Not everyone likes scrap quilts. If scraps are driving you crazy, then give them to someone who loves them. Check with your local guild or church. Or list them on the sale section of this board and just have the recipient pay for postage.
Personally, I love them. I save a lot of my scraps. Anything smaller than a 10" square gets cut down, using a modified Bonnie Hunter method. She has lots of free patterns, and a chart that tells you what pattern is made with what size scrap so when you get a bunch of a particular size, you know what to do with them.
http://quiltville.com/pdf/FreePatternsbyStripSize.pdf
Old 04-16-2016, 08:41 AM
Auj

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
How about trading a bag of scraps with another quilting friend?
This is something our guild has begun to do. When we finish a project, we put the leftovers in a large gallon-size ziploc bag and bring it to guild. Then we trade with someone else for their leftovers and make something with it. We can add other fabrics of course, and the ziploc bag needs to have a minimum of 2 yards or something like that, but it has been kind of fun to work with this challenge. I personally haven't participated yet, but many have and it is fun to see what the next person makes from the leftover fabric. When it is displayed at guild, the original person brings the quilt that had the leftovers and they are displayed side by side. Very interesting. When summer comes and I am not teaching, I might grab a bag myself.