Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Im very pleased about Walmart and their fabric >

Im very pleased about Walmart and their fabric

Im very pleased about Walmart and their fabric

Old 11-22-2011, 08:19 AM

Our superwalmart does not carry fabric yet. I have been told that they are going to get it back, but the date to get fabric keeps changing. There are two walmarts within driving distance that have fabric department. Most of their fabric is good quality, same as Joanns. Both of those stores have someone that works the fabric department. Our local store manager does not want fabric back. Hope when we do get fabric department that he will assign someone to work it.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:43 AM

Our Walmart in Monroe Wi has a great selection of fabrics. I think the quality is great for the price. Nice to have anything local. We don't have a quilt shop in town.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:59 AM

I find both Walmart and Joann fabrics very junky. In fact I hardly go into Walmart and Joann's just for notions or batting. They can't screw up those. I guess I am a fabric snob.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:17 AM

Our Super Walmart here has utter junk for quilt fabric and not much of it. I have other reasons for not liking Walmart but that is one of the big ones. And they sell Vanna's Choice yarn for more $ than Joann's does, which is really crazy. Our Joann's is one of the superstores and it has a few good quilt fabrics (very basic Kona colors) but otherwise their quilt fabric quality has noticeably gone downhill in the last 5-10 years. The Hancock's we had closed several years back. They had good quilting and sewing fabrics too.

We only have one local quilt store here (very close to my apartment too) and I don't know how they stay in business. The whole inventory looks like a 1990 Debbie Mumm warehouse (all tea dyed and muted tones) and they never get any new fabric lines in. Seems like it's always the same fabrics. I do go in and check periodically, especially when I need thread or want to browse quilting magazines. I do believe in supporting local indie businesses as much as possible, but sometimes it's hard. Last time I was there, I asked the owners if they were going to carry X designer's latest line, but they didn't seem real interested. I suspect said quilting store isn't going to be in business much longer.. they don't sell on the Internet and they recently changed their store hours to 10 am - 4 pm, (used to be 8-6) and now they're closed completely on weekends too. Saturday shopping works best for me, so I guess I will be passing them by completely now.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:31 AM

The WM in my area has started back selling fabric also, the average price is $5 to $6. Some of it was ok. most of the fat quarter were better quality than the fabric. I found 4 coordinating peices, that I purchased 1/4 yard of each for a strip quilt. My problem was getting someone to cut the fabric. A sales person finally came to the dept. and stated that WM was giving fabric another chance and that all the employees were praying that it would fail because they were being pulled from their departments to cut fabric and none of them knew nothing about fabric.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

I am so jealous of your full service fabric department. Ours has been remodeled but only has a few pre-cut packages. I can't work with limited pre-cuts. Soooooo disappointing!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:46 AM

Cool

The Wal-Mart in Bloomington just started to carry fabric again. I am going to try and buy some fabric there as in the past I have bought quality fabric there.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:18 PM

That is great. Ours did go out of fabric and does not know when they may or may not get it again. The thing is, it seems so dumb they took it out because they had a big area and lots of sales in there, can never figure out why they would take it out of there. Left people in our area without much to chose from.