Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
imperfect quilt >

imperfect quilt

imperfect quilt

Old 06-24-2011, 06:04 PM

I make plenty of mistakes but only once have I done it intentionally. Last Christmas I made a couch quilt for my son's girl friend. She is a huge Chicago Bears fan and we are all die hard Vikings fans. I made her a Blue and orange Bears quilt but "ran out" of binding and had to finish with about 6 inches of Viking purple. she was shocked when she noticed it! I think we may be able to get her turned around yet!
Old 06-24-2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by dixiebelle162002
I don't have to try to do anything wrong it just happens naturally with me! :lol: :lol:
Me, too! :lol:

An intentional mistake is not a mistake. Conscious decisions are just that: decisions. You can choose what you want to do with YOUR quilt!

Just like I can choose to rip some seams and not others. :oops:
Old 06-24-2011, 09:19 PM

Lately, when I make a mistake, I assess it and see if it would be ok to leave it alone. 99% of the time I will fix it. The other one percent of the time, I really try to leave it alone because I am trying to stop being a neurotic perfectionist since quilting and sewing is supposed to be fun. Also, I really would like to eventually finish a quilt. One percent of the time is a big improvement for me. I really need to attempt two percent of the time soon. :) So I guess my answer is No, I would never make a mistake on purpose. :)
Old 06-24-2011, 09:23 PM

no i try very hard not to have mistakes.

i like everything i make to be of show quality.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:52 AM

my sister calls that a DIVA. and your right no one will even notice.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:54 AM

i think it is beautiful
Old 06-25-2011, 03:22 AM
Vat

I think the Amish do it in their quilts all the time. Because they say none is perfect except GOD ! ! !
Old 06-25-2011, 03:27 AM

Glad you posted this - I always feel the same way when I hear this theory. Talk about false humility!
Old 06-25-2011, 03:29 AM

No one will notice.
No, I've never done it intentionally myself, but the 'Humility Block' is quite an interesting thing. There is a very good article here about it:
http://catsquiltart.com/2010/humilit...uth-or-fiction

And this:
"The first published reference found to the "humility block" custom is in Florence Peto's 1949 book American Quilts and Coverlets, in relation to one piece of chintz in one quilt:

'In certain localities superstitious quiltmakers tried this way to divert the "Evil Eye" which otherwise might be cast jealously on human endeavor; it was analogous to the Oriental idea that to make a perfect thing is to imitate the Deity, therefore unlucky and presumptuous. '"

By the way - the Amish would be appalled to make such a purposeful mistake and have people think their work shoddy.

Pretty interesting!
Old 06-25-2011, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by sarahrachel
I would like to know if anyone has deliberately made a quilt imperfect, turned a block the wrong way, made one block not "match" in color.

I'm just wondering because I'm hand piecing a quilt and since I'm not the best at it, the stitches don't look perfect from the top, but I like it since it's a country style quilt and it looks more rustic that way.
Is there such a thing as a "perfect" quilt?