Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Important spray basting tip

Blog Entries

Important spray basting tip

I just saw on an episode of a quilting show on the Create channel [can't remember which one, but it was very recent]... do not spray baste on the scrim side of any batting that has a scrim... it causes the fabric to have waves/wrinkles. The guest showed an example of spray basting on the scrim and non-scrim sides.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Great tip! Thanks...I'll pay more attention in the future.

I frame quilt so don't ever spray baste but how can you avoid not spraying the scrim side? It will have be adhered to either the backing or the top. So assume you are spray basting using a scrim batting. Your plan is to have the scrim side face down and adhere to the backing. So should you spray baste the wrong side of the backing fabric then lay your batting on the fabric that has the adhesive?

Power Poster
    ​I have never noticed a difference in my batting sides. Maybe it is because I always use Hobbs 80/20 ? Scrim or no scrim it's all the same to me.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    I frame quilt so don't ever spray baste but how can you avoid not spraying the scrim side? It will have be adhered to either the backing or the top.
    I generally spray the fabric, not the batting. Regardless of side, the fabric sticks just fine. I press the sandwich and if there are wrinkles, I reposition.

I just pin baste my quilts. I never use spray basting. Works fine for me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I just happened to tune in at the tail end of that segment. The person was working with satin and planned to quilt from the back so that she could use the heavier bobbin thread as an anchor for embroidery embellishment. Because I came in to the program late, I was confused too. I think it was Quilting Arts?

Quote Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
    I just happened to tune in at the tail end of that segment. The person was working with satin and planned to quilt from the back so that she could use the heavier bobbin thread as an anchor for embroidery embellishment. Because I came in to the program late, I was confused too. I think it was Quilting Arts?
    I never spray baste - but did see that episode of Quilting Arts. You are absolutely correct the caution had to do with the satins and silks the person was working with.

I'm with Tartan; I can't tell the difference either; I buy by the roll so maybe it doesn't have scrim. Whatever works.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing - now I know why it happens!!

I use the pool noodle basting system to spray baste. My quilt sandwich is smooth. I have saved a fortune quilting my own quilts with plain crosshatching pattern. I don't make quilts that need custom quilting and I don't like a dense quilting on quilts that much.

Quote Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
    I use the pool noodle basting system to spray baste. My quilt sandwich is smooth. I have saved a fortune quilting my own quilts with plain crosshatching pattern. I don't make quilts that need custom quilting and I don't like a dense quilting on quilts that much.
    Could you explain "pool noodle basting system" please. I need to start quilting myself as I just can't afford to send them out anymore. TIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCIdv6iwLeQ

Here is a one way to do it.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tip...I have a little bit of W&N left on my roll so will look closely next time I spray baste, which is only on smallish quilts, otherwise I use a LA. My next roll is Hobbs 80/20 so I don’t think there is scrim.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Goodness, I never saw or experienced any difference. I will pay attention and see if it does many any difference. I love to use spray baste. I would given up on quilting long ago if I hadn't tried spray basting.