Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Improvizational quilts >

Improvizational quilts

Improvizational quilts

Old 04-26-2017, 01:51 AM

Inspiational for sure, all of them. Thank you for sharng these pictures; outstanding unique beauties.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Sometimes the biggest stumbling block is where to start. Personally for me I find I tend to think/design symmetrically...I like 9P's....yes my symmetrical thinking is another stumbling block. Crumb quilts are improv like. Once the block is done, do you square it off and put it in a traditional setting? Can you call that improv? (I'm asking rhetorical questions.) With that being said, I try to hop out of my symmetrical box once in a while. This full size quilt illustrates a crumb quilt with a traditional setting. This is a mini I am working on. Here is yet another experiment, made with 3/4" widths and imprecise piecing...yet to be finished
I love the sashed crumb blocks in the first picture - containing your improvisations in a more formal framework that brings it all together. Brilliant. I love making crumb blocks - you've given me some fresh ideas. Thankyou.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Thank you...I too love to make crumb blocks...I hate to see fabrics go to waste. I also make miniature quilts. I try to use fabric leftovers that are the size I need rather than cut to size. I will make a bunch of tiny blocks, then create a setting for them. Oftentimes the blocks simmer on my design wall waiting for inspiration. Just like petthefabric indicated, it can take a while...
Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
I love the sashed crumb blocks in the first picture - containing your improvisations in a more formal framework that brings it all together. Brilliant. I love making crumb blocks - you've given me some fresh ideas. Thankyou.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

petthefabric~ thanks for posting this fun topic! I like your work, and seeing others' is inspiring as well. I'm enjoying digging through my small pieces for my own improv project!
Old 04-26-2017, 01:57 PM

I had the opportunity to take a class with Kathy Schmidt, who wrote the book "Rule Breaking Quilts". It was a wonderful class and Kathy introduced me to her methods and she brought along books on the same subject from other authors. Here's her website if you're interested: https://quirksltd.wordpress.com/

I made the red, yellow and blue quilt as part of the class (it was a practice piece to learn the method) and the quilt with the pink border was my second effort. I'm hoping to get back to working improv soon and will keep up with this thread. I love all the work that's been posted!
Attached Thumbnails artquilt.jpg   norules1.jpg  
Old 04-26-2017, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

Fun colors....Thanks for the links Lynda...
Old 04-26-2017, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by lizzy View Post
I absolutely love your quilt. Did you have any quilting books that helped you get started.?
Jean Wells has several books on improv quilting. I've done a lap quilt for a family friend's wedding and am working on a partially improv landscape quilt. I've found that the improv piecing is not as easy as just sewing pieces willy-nilly together. But very fun!
Old 04-26-2017, 09:45 PM

In the blue/yellow/red quilt I see wonky 9p and stratta, good starting points.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
In the blue/yellow/red quilt I see wonky 9p and stratta, good starting points.
Thanks! Good eye, Pet! That's exactly how Kathy took us through the class, by taking basic units we were familiar with and showing us the improv possibilities as well as how to combine them into something cohesive. Beyond the benefit of showing us how to work improv, it also helped me in some of my more traditional pieces where incorporating a few of the techniques took my work to another level.

I highly recommend the experience.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:11 AM

petthefabric, your wall hanging with the uneven edge is meltingly beautiful. Great topic.