Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? Inexpensive Embroidery Machine ? >

? Inexpensive Embroidery Machine ?

? Inexpensive Embroidery Machine ?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by DebbyT
Originally Posted by sharon b
I have the Brother SE270D it has a 4x4 hoop but love it . They have sense come out with the 400 but suppose to be just as good for under 400.00
They are very similar. The 400 is a newer model and wil conect to your computer so you can download to the machine.
Thank you!! Anything that I can download would be great too! I'm so glad I came here to ask. Sales people will tell you about anything to make a sale, but if you want to know the truth, go straight to someone who knows!
Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 PM

I couldn't afford a pricey machine but always wanted to try my hand at it. One day I was in WalMart and the Brother SE-400 called to me.... (was under $400.) I brought it home and have loved it ever since. It is only the 4" x 4" hoop but it's a great place to start! I have used it for quilting and also did some bookmarks and ornament for Christmas presents.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
I couldn't afford a pricey machine but always wanted to try my hand at it. One day I was in WalMart and the Brother SE-400 called to me.... (was under $400.) I brought it home and have loved it ever since. It is only the 4" x 4" hoop but it's a great place to start! I have used it for quilting and also did some bookmarks and ornament for Christmas presents.
I think 4x4" would be good enough. I really apppreciate your help on this. I have to write all of these down, so far WalMart is the place to go! Thank you!! :-P
Old 12-11-2010, 01:27 AM

I have purchased several Bernina Deco 600's and 650's over the years, most used on Ebay, with great success. For the basic 600 I don't pay more than $300, for the 650 not more than $350 (unless they come with added accessories). I've purchased several because my friends have wanted them so I've sold mine to them and purchased replacements. No complaints!
Old 12-11-2010, 02:50 AM

Check out the Babylock website and go to the promotion page. I think I remember them running a up to 50% off sale on certain machines at participating dealers. That would give you leverage on getting a deal on price.

Mary

http://www.babylock.com/promotions/
Old 12-11-2010, 09:48 AM

No matter what machine you get - try to get one that takes usb thumb drives or has a direct connect to a laptop ability. You don't want to mess with the memory cards. You'd have to get the gadget to read/transfer the designs and it's just not worth it.

Try looking at the other Brothers - NOT the one at Walmart that was linked before - for a small amount extra you can get one that has a few more bells and whistles - like the usb.
http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp22854.html

There are other places that sell that model and I'd also check to see what you have locally. There is also the 780 that is reasonably priced as well ;)
Old 12-11-2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
I have the Brother SE270D it has a 4x4 hoop but love it . They have sense come out with the 400 but suppose to be just as good for under 400.00
I have this machine as well. I bought it off Craigslist for 100. Great little machine. I use it constantly. And since the only other machine that I had was a little cheapo singer (which I have since given to MIL) this is the only machine that I use. Great for sewing and embroidery.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
Try looking at the other Brothers - NOT the one at Walmart that was linked before - for a small amount extra you can get one that has a few more bells and whistles - like the usb.
I'm confused. The only Brother linked to at Walmart that I can find was the SE400 in my own post - and that machine does have USB connectivity to your computer.

You don't have to save your designs to a thumb drive or memory card to get them to your machine.

Edit - Okay, I got it now. The second machine in that post apparently uses a USB thumb drive or the memory cards - but it doesn't connect to your computer. I've gotten used to connecting to the computer, so I might skip this machine, too.