Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inexpensive sewing machine ideas >

Inexpensive sewing machine ideas

Inexpensive sewing machine ideas

Old 10-10-2018, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Eversewn is the best choice. I love my Sparrow 30. Almost all members of my guild now have an Eversewn for classes and retreats.
I LOVE my Eversewn Sparrow 25. If I wanted/needed to upgrade, I wouldn't hesitate to get the Sparrow 30. The Sparrow 25 is basically the same as one of the Juki models, except for a few things, but it is more expensive than the Sparrow.

With that said, I have Brother, Babylock, Juki, Eversewn, and some SS as well as ZigZag Vintage Machines(aka boat anchors), that will sew through anything. I love them all for different reasons and different applications.

Some people "think" they would like to learn to sew, but once they start, they find it's not really for them--my DIL and daughter are a perfect example. The sewing machine comes out only if they are working on a specific project--and only if they have to get it out(aka I won't/can't do it for them). Yet others, find they really enjoy sewing. I would suggest, as others, to check Craigslist, the Facebook Marketplace in your area, Offerup, and Letgo, and local dealerships. You might find one that pleases you that you like and be happy sewing on. And, if by chance the sewing machine spends most of its life in a closet, it will be used/loved when you are there visiting.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

I have a Brother SQ9000 that was only $199 (before tax). It is wonderful, and has never had to go to the shop.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
I'll chime in on TeresaA's post about the new Singer Featherweight C240. <snip>
One caveat, it does not use standard low-shank presser feet, you need to buy the feet specifically for this machine. Some of the feet Singer offers can be used with the IEF and with some others you need to disengage it (which is very simple to do). .
I took a look at the feet and wonder if the Pfaff feet would fit. (Of course, Singer/Pfaff wouldn't want to hurt their independent resellers by pointing out that the Singer uses Pfaff feet) If I owned one and didn't own a Pfaff, it would be worth risking the $6 to buy a generic foot off Amazon that fits Pfaff and give it a try...
Old 10-11-2018, 03:08 AM

Is there a fabric store or sewing machine dealer in their area? There are many people who upgrade to newer machines. You may find a place that has preowned machines. They are serviced and usually at a great price. If your DIL should ever need assistance, they would be in her area to help her.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:11 AM
CR

My Sears sewing machine finally gave up the ghost and my son got me a brother CSi6000. It's light weight, and does a lot of different stitches and it was only $155 on Amazon. I love it.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Walmart carries a low end model of the Brother machines and they are good machines. My low end machine is a Brother and it is still working fine fifteen years later. For around a $100 is it the best you will find. Enjoy that new baby.
I have two low end Brothers, one off the internet and one from Walmart. The Walmart one came with an extension plate and all the feet, plus generic feet fit and so do Baby Lock ones. I have been using them interchangeably for 3-4 years now and have no complaints. I sew just about every day, apparel, lap size quilts and other sewing projects. These machines were about $125 each and one has 80 built-in stitches, the other 90. More than enough!
Old 10-11-2018, 08:34 PM

I bought a juki small machine, it has needle down, pieces great and was under $250.00
Old 10-11-2018, 09:01 PM

I was at Costco yesterday and looked at their Brother machine and it looked like a fantastic deal. So tempted to buy it just to leave at my friend's house in Phoenix then decided I best not. (Two birthdays this month and Christmas is coming.)
Where does your son live? Are you flying or driving to see him? If you are driving I would go get it - but if you are flying I would order it on line and have it sent to your son's home.