Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Infant Bereavement Quilts >

Infant Bereavement Quilts

Infant Bereavement Quilts

Old 11-06-2016, 04:02 AM

I had several small pieces of leftover fleece that were soft colors that I simply crocheted around and donated for babies born too soon. (JoAnn's has a rotary cutter that perforates fleece for these projects.) I had the nicest note from one of the nurses who said there was need the very day my donation was received. She commented how much the mother appreciated having something soft and cuddly to wrap her baby in while she still could do so. Think on those small pieces you have available that could be utilized. And those orphan blocks that could be bordered with juvenile fabrics for a tiny quilt.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:02 AM

I sew at church and I'm looking for smaller projects to build skills. We work with donated fabric/threads/trims/buttons and when the group started a couple years ago, bereavement quilts were mentioned as a possible project. Thank you for this post: it comes a a perfect time when I'm looking to refocus/redirect our efforts.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

As a mother of three little angels that did not make it, I would gladly tell you that anything as a memento of this precious one would be very much appreciated. My granddaughter had a little girl that she lost during her pregnancy. Her dad brought her a little purple elephant in rememberance of "Skye". She loved that little bear so her grandpa and I did this for her.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]561676[/ATTACH]
It was an acrylic case with the elephant on a purple stand. It had a plaque with the name, dob and dod and the saying "Fly High Little Angel". She cried and now, many months later, she treasures that.
Attached Thumbnails skye-elephant.jpg  
Old 11-06-2016, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I was told by the neonatal department in one hospital to avoid solid white because it does not photograph well in these circumstances. White or light color with a contrasting edging is fine. The baby's coloring looks better in a blanket with some color. I don't know if what she said was unique to the photo system they had at that hospital or not. It might be good to ask in your case just what is most desirable.
I have made small afghans for these little mites. I was told to stay away from white, premmies are often reddish and look garish against the white...yellow make the baby look jaundiced, bright colors wash out whatever color the baby might have. I used -pastels, blue, pink, lavender
Old 11-06-2016, 07:05 AM

A dear friend had a stillborn daughter last year, NILMDTS came and took photos, and she and her hubby received some bereavement blankets and tiny homemade cloth diapers. They are very very grateful for each and every memento, frequently she takes out everything to look and smell her baby. Thank you to everyone who makes these items, they mean the world to folks.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:07 AM

Yes, Our guild started to participate in this as a service project this year. We took a vote and agreed to try it for 1 year. After a year, we would bring it up for another vote.

We make it very simple: Sew 2 squares Right sides together, leaving a hole to turn. Turn right side out and topstitch around the edges to close the hole. (sizes asked for from the hospital were 7" - 15". The request for fabric was any pastel flannels (solid or prints). No loud, or bright colors. Batting could be used if desired and quilting was up to the individual. Some members used Minky fabric and they turned out lovely. Some of these tiny quilts are kept by the parents as keepsakes in memory of their loved ones.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:12 AM

we have a group in our area that request small quilts to use for burials for infants. Our group is called project innocence. Check with your hospital to see if you have a group in your area.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:24 AM

Thank you for the link. So many nice patterns.

This certainly is an informed group and I thank everyone for their input.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:02 AM

My church does this. They make the blanket, a premie outfit with hat for the nik-u babies. Many of them are used by the parents to bury their babies. So please if you feel you can, make a blanket or quilt for them. My guild makes blankets for the isolets. They go over the outside to protect the babies from the lights.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:06 AM

As someone who lost a baby at birth I can tell me I would have loved if someone had wrapped his little body in a quilt and then given it to me. As it was I had nothing to hug after he passed.