Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inflated yardage requirements >

Inflated yardage requirements

Inflated yardage requirements

Old 06-30-2011, 06:11 AM

Funny, this topic came up last night in a class on accuracy. I took away from it that the best thing to do is to read the pattern and decide the best way to cut without all the leftover. I've been shocked at how much is "suggested" sometimes.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:48 AM

I have a few friends that are fabric designers and the fabric companies publish the patterns that showcase the fabrics. They all complain that the companies rush the pattern for the sake of getting them ready for the fabric introduction, which usually means errors of different sorts. If I see a pattern from a company that I think I want to make, I go over it with a fine tooth comb. Most often they usually way over estimate or way under estimate the fabric requirements.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:52 AM

I have found that usually you have to be VERY cautious in cutting what a company sends you or you will be short. Perhaps they got too many comments to this effect and decided to just add more fabric. When I teach a class, I always add a bit more to the class requirements to allow for screw-ups in cutting, sewing or whatever. It very often happens and then the students aren't left without enough fabric to complete the project.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Josie208
I recently finished a quilt designed for a specific fabric company and had purchased fabric in the amounts the pattern specified for a "quilt top and binding." I had enough fabric left over for the entire backing (pieced) and two pillows front and back! Are the yardage charts just a clever way to have us purchase more of their fabric lines???
I bought a quilt kit (many blocks, each separate) from a well-known designer. The kits were "frugal" with fabric to say the least. I had to buy extra fabric to fill in and some of the fabrics were discontinued when I looked for them. I will never buy any kits from that designer again.

On the other hand, I would much prefer buying two yards or so too much fabric when making a full/queen/king size quilt.

Quilt designers try to make sure to set out requirements for enough fabric. When I design a quilt I usually try to make sure there's enough if someone miscuts.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:33 AM

I usually don't use quilt patterns but when I read a pattern in a magazine I usually add up the yardage. So often the amount is really large for the size of the quilt. An example is that nine yards for each side of a queen size is really generous, I have seen patterns that add up to fifteen yards. I have nothing against adding to my stash but prefer generous as opposed to excessive.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
I'm not sure I understand the problem? So what you are saying is that extra fabric is bad? That you will never use that fabric for anything ever again? Sorry, I don't see a problem here. But then I tend to not buy less than 4-6 yards of anything, and often buy whole bolts. Anything less than a yard is scrap and is usually thrown away.
Good grief girfriend! If you're throwing away anything less than a yard...be sure to throw it my way! LOL
I always buy extra too. Seems in one way or another, I "doctor" the pattern and find ways to use the extra.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:12 AM

I'd like to be optimistic here and hope that they include extra fabric in case we make a mistake....
Old 06-30-2011, 08:19 AM

There is a quilt by Amy Bulter that I would love to make but it requires 33 - 1/2 yard cuts of fabric for a 66 1/2 X 72 1/2 quilt. The block sizes are 22" x 24". Instructions are also included to make a backing with additional yardage. I love sewing with her patterns but have found the yardage to alway be way over. I need to sit down and figure this our because 16 1/2 yards of fabic for this size top just seem outrageous.

http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/pdfs/Sunshine_Quilt.pdf
Old 06-30-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I don't know why the yardage is over estimated but I do know the extras are great for patched backings that have become popular and I'd rather have more than not enough. And good way to promote our loved scrappy quilts too.♥♥
I agree with you Debbie! But I understand the heartship of having spent too much at the time of purchase and could use the extra dollars later on some other project! I suppose that is part of the FabicWorld... make money where you can :)

Sharon
Old 06-30-2011, 08:40 AM

I can see why the inflated yardage can frustrate people, but as a newbie, I would be glad to have enough to cover all my mistakes!!! :-P