Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
info about PP please >

info about PP please

info about PP please

Old 10-06-2013, 02:09 PM

Default info about PP please

I have never done paperpiecing and would really like to try it. I found this tutorial
http://www.cvquiltworks.blogspot.nl/...-tutorial.html
I have seen several patterns of Judy Niemeyer and they are beautiful. But is this a good tutorial to start, or are there may be more 'easy' ways to try with this whole new way of sewing (to me that is)?
I'ls apprediate your input, thanks in advance.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:15 PM

Start with something easier that a Judy N quilt and work up!! PP is easy but Judy's quilts are complex.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:01 PM

I've just started learning in my advanced quilting class. She's teaching us using Carol Doak's method. I really like it, but it is not intuitive at all when you do the first couple of blocks. Sure does make beautiful and accurate blocks. Carol has a Crafty class you can take.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:07 PM

The tutorial you've found seems simple enough. But I wouldn't start with a Judy Neimeyer pattern. Or maybe I would start with one of her simpler patterns - just a mariner's compass. It will end up being stunning.

I had trouble figuring out how to PP. It's not difficult once you learn. I took a class where they required us to buy a pattern and fabric first, and had us PP a Fir tree - just a triangle with sky and a trunk. I got pretty far with my pattern in that class. I chose a pumpkin with a black cat in front of it, wearing a mask.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:40 PM

I do like that tutorial for a beginner. Even if you just make a table runner or pillow cover, it's enough to get the basic idea of paper piecing across.

I actually prefer to not stitch through the paper. There's a step in that tutorial where they have you fold back the paper on the cutting line, line up the add-a-quarter ruler and trim the fabric, then align your next fabric patch and stitch on the line. I leave the paper folded back, align my next fabric patch, and stitch right next to the fold in the paper. That way I don't have to tear all the little pieces of paper away.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

Not all Judy Niemeyer patterns are difficult. I learned to PP in a class using one of her easier patterns. But the instructions with her patterns are not easy for a beginner to follow.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:58 PM

Which pattern are you working on?

Craftsy.com has a few classes on paper piecing. My favorite is Quick strip Paper Piecing. I'm working on a Neimeyer pattern, Japanese Fan, and the class has helped me a lot.

Enjoy!
Old 10-06-2013, 05:32 PM

I love paper piecing. I have made many quilts, wall hangings, etc. using this method. I have been quilting for 15+ years (almost exclusively paper piecing) and I still would not tackle a Judy N. pattern. Even her "easy" ones take some skill. Practice, practice, practice. The Judy N. quilts are gorgeous, but can be tricky to work on. You want to start with patches that only have 6 or so pieces in them. Then you want to practice attaching the patches to each other so their seams/points match up (this can be a challenge)...hint: use plenty of pins. (I even sometimes baste patches together). Use decent quality paper to print your foundations on. I tend to use regular copy paper, but then again I've been doing this for so many years, I'm used to pulling off the paper. (Carol Doak sells paper that is very nice to work with). Change your machine needle often as sewing through the paper can dull them. If you make a mistake you don't need to trash the entire patch. Pull out the stitches on the mistake. Then take removable Scotch tape (blue plaid roll) and tape the line you sewed incorrectly on the paper (printed side). Resew correctly. Most important thing in paper piecing, make sure your fabric completely covers the section you need it to.

Can't think of any other tips. Hope the above ones help and are understandable. Good luck on your project. You will love paper piecing, especially on designs that have lots of points...paper piecing makes that sharp, always.

Anita

P.S. Carol Doak has a Yahoo group for paper piecing - a great group of folks, too.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:04 AM

Find something very easy and have a go. I find when I started that the first move placing 2 pieces right sides facing was the hardest to learn.rest just seemed right.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:56 AM
Power Poster

carol Doak is the 'queen' of paper piecing and has lots of free blocks, tutorials & help on her website- many people learn to paper piece by 'visiting' Carol's website.