Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Info on Baby Lock machine >

Info on Baby Lock machine

Info on Baby Lock machine

Old 02-15-2012, 09:41 AM

Default Info on Baby Lock machine

I have been watching some Fons and Porter shows and was wondering about the Baby Lock machine. Does one actually do quilting with these machines or just do the quilt top assembly. I am a newbie and I thought that quilting was done with a "long arm" to handle the larger projects. Also what kind of prices are these machines. I guess I could call a retailer but thought I would check here first. Thanks
Old 02-15-2012, 09:47 AM

I have had a Baby Lock for about 8 years and I love it ... I got it as a Christmas gift then and it was around $800 ... it is computerized. I have done simple stitch in the ditch on baby quilts with it, but I have a Grace frame and a Janome that I can quilt bigger things on. I don't just quilt, I do lots of other sewing too, so it is a very handy machine.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:04 AM

I've had a baby-loc for several years, and it's been a little workhorse. I have the decorator model, which I got for something around $600. It has an automatic threader and cutter, and periodically the machine has to be serviced to keep them working as they should. I have a free motion foot, and have quilted some smaller quilts on it. The throat space isn't really big, so I don't try to do big quilts. They do have a quilting model, which is a little more expensive. I've used mine extensively and can say that it has been well worth the investment.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:21 AM

I have a hand me down baby lock. It is model # BL1556.I don't know its age. The great thing about baby lock is that the insides are all metal, no cheap plastic gears that wear out quickly. I bought their brand name walking foot ($100) after I made the mistake of buying a cheap one ($35) online.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 AM

You can FMQ on these really well. I have the espire(now symphony) the one they use on the fons and porter and eleanor burns quilt in a day shows, and I have only practiced and it came out not too bad, you don't need a long arm to quilt, its just easier because you don't have to move the quilt. I highly recommend my espire, I just love mine so much. They are great for piecing as well. They have an AHA which allows you to not have to touch tension too often, it does it automatically for you. You can adjust presser foot height and pressure which is great for FMQ. It has a nice pivoting feature which is good for applique and turning corners. It comes with a knee lifter for the presser foot, a large extension table for FMQ and all the feet you will need for quilting (1/4 inch,walking foot, and 3 FMQ feet including an echo foot). It has a start stop button so you don't have to use the pedal, and an automatic thread cutter, and a reinforcement stitch button as well as stitches that do it at the beginning of a stitch. Many decorative stitches which I have yet to use. Its really quiet compared to most machines I have seen. The new one symphony comes with a circular attachment and bobbin kit which I purchased separately on mine. I think if you go to your dealer and try one out you will fall in love with it. If you get the brother version since it is a brother made machine they come with the my custom stitch feature which is the only difference between them and the babylock version. It is a real workhorse too, can sew threw denim with ease, and quilt layers with no problem. They are quite expensive, run about 3000 but I got a show classroom model for 1800 and it was only used once like new, and came with free classes. I have had my machine for about 2 years and it has given me no problems, hope this answers most of your questions
Old 02-15-2012, 08:47 PM

I have a Baby Lock and I love it. It is worth every penny. I piece, quilt, and embroider on it.