Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: info on derwet intense

info on derwet intense

I saw these at a quit show but was leary of buying the small set of 6.Was wondering if they dry up? Going to grand rapids in Aug but don`t think they sell individual at qshow. Can stop at hobby lobby or jo annes and they the same product in individuals. Thanks Gale

Blog Entries
    I've never seen Derwet Intense pencils sold individually at stores here. They are always sold in sets in a metal box. I have some I bought several years ago and they are fine kept in the metal box. Not much to dry out, they have to be mixed with water (I use clear aloe) to become intense.
    Got fabric?

Art supply stores like Dick Blick are the only places I know of that sell them open stock. No, they don't dry up. They're pencils. The color only becomes fluid after you apply a wetting medium (water, aloe vera gel, acrylic medium, etc), either to the pencil itself before marking, or to the mark you made with a dry pencil.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Thank you for the onfo will look at an art store Gale

I just bought some from ebay at a much reduced price. Amazon also has them cheaper. I had originally ordered from Dick Blick but called to cancel the order when I found them cheaper. I got the 36 piece set that only had 5 pencils used a little for 24.95. The ones at Dicks was $48. for 24 after s/h.

Blog Entries
    Saw the demo on 'Quilting Arts' show. Would love to try them, but can't make myself let go of $$!

They very often go on sale at Michael's for 40% off and, if you go on Tuesday, you can get an extra 10% off sale prices with an AARP card....so half price.

Blog Entries
    I don't remember what I paid for the set but I do remember they were very expensive for colored pencils. But I got what I paid for, they are like liquid color when coloring fabric. If I had used the less quality pencils I would have thought this isn't so great and probably wouldn't have known the beautiful results I could have.
    Got fabric?

There is no other comparable pencil currently on the market. They are ink, not watercolor, and they can be layered, unlike watercolor pencils. Meaning you can mark with them, wet the mark to heighten the color, let it dry and mark again over it. When you wet the second marking, the first will not be affected at all. If you do that with watercolor pencils, the color turns muddy because the two layers blend together. They are worth their price, no doubt about it.

ghostrider mentioned blik so being canadaian and not knowing names of stores I went to the web site and have a set of 6 for 10.00 not bad was going to order and send to friend in mi but deceided might check out store in talahassee fl when traveling through THanks ladies Gale http://www.dickblick.com/products/de...kTracking=true

Like ghostrider said, you can buy them at Michael's with a 40% off coupon. I think you can get a coupon at their web site if you don't have one.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

I've just been reading all the information I could find on Derwent Inktense pencils. I believe the sharpened end will seal over, but it only has to be resharpened to be ready to go again. I have some ordered. So excited to get them!
    ​Karen

Quote Originally Posted by SkiingQuilter View Post
    I've just been reading all the information I could find on Derwent Inktense pencils. I believe the sharpened end will seal over, but it only has to be resharpened to be ready to go again. I have some ordered. So excited to get them!
    No, the sharpened end will not seal over, not even after years of sitting idle. Not to worry.

Gale, Dick Blick has brick and mortar stores in Dearborn, Detroit and Royal Oak. Surely you can route your way to Grand Rapids past one of them, can't you?
    http://www.dickblick.com/stores/michigan/

Just a note, I've known several people who intended to buy Derwent Inktense Pencils but got Derwent Watercolor Pencils by mistake. They both come in similar looking tins, so be careful and READ the front of the tin before you pay for it. They are not the same thing at all.
    Last edited by ghostrider; 08-04-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks for the heads up about getting the right ones. I saw the locations but don`t have time to stop and not ready for them yet.THanks for the info! Gale

Thanks for the warning to get Inktense and not the watercolor pencil. I've been thinking about playing with some of these. Hobby Lobby has Derwent Inktense set of 12 for $35. They offer a 40% off coupon that you can get online. Amazon has a set of 24 for $41 with free shipping.
    Remember the teakettle...it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it still sings!

A Proper Tea is much nicer than a Very Nearly Tea, which is one you forget about afterwards. ~ Winnie the Pooh (A.A. Milne)

You get a different sort of coverage if you use aloe vera as the moisture agent. The small box is designed to replace the colours most commonly used in the larger box.

I have been looking at them. Look interesting. Thanks for the info.

If you use these on fabric do they have to be heat set? Will the colors fade or wash out when laundered?
    Dirty1mom
    Cleveland, OH

Blog Entries
    I bought a set of the Derwent Inktens pencils last year from an art supply store with a Groupon. Sign up for groupons and they might have one with the back to school sales. I had looked at them at Michales and Hobby Lobby. They also have them and you can use a coupon. I have played with them a little. I need to get them out and play with them some more. Very nice color intensity. You can wet them before you color or after. It gives a diffferent effect.

Blog Entries
    I have never heard of these. Are they used on art quilts?